Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Questions!

sophienotsofie

Cavy Slave
(Quickly, I didn't know what to categorize this so I just went with what seemed to relate to my questions and all)

Hello! So I recently joined this forum.

Recently being probably an hour or less ago.

I posted my introduction along with a picture of my little guinea pig Oswald. You most likely haven't seen it so here's a picture of my little pal:

But I do have a few questions, as I got her two weeks ago from yesterday.

1. How do I learn the basics of my guinea pig.

I got Ozzie at a pet store a town over from where I live. I actually got a guinea pig from the same place when I was probably 7 or 8 at the least/most. I went there with my mom and my friend and we kinda stayed and looked at the guinea pigs. I saw Ozzie and I fell in love because she was so cute and super soft. Along with her, we got a couple things at the store to keep her healthy and stuff like that.

But when we bought her, the lady that worked at the place really just gave her to me. Well we paid, but that's basically all she did. She asked if we had a cage, hay, food, that sorta stuff and when we said yeah, she just let us have her.

I was just wondering if there was a way I could find out about my piggy like what type she is, is she's really a she, her age, that sorta stuff. The lady also never told us anything or gave any papers so I'm kinda worried about that? I thought about contacting the place, but I don't really know so much.

2. Do they really, really need companions?

I read that they do since they are social animals (if I remember correctly) or at least with other piggies. I also read that they had to be the same sex due to the fact of a possible pregnancy. But do they really need to have a friend?

I would actually love having another guinea pig for Ozzie, but I don't know if I could handle having two. I mean, I'd get help from my parents and stuff, but two? So because of this, I was wondering if they absolutely need a companion. I would actually love to get her one because I have school from 7 am to 3 pm (though I get home at four due to the bus ride) so I think it would be nice for her to have someone to keep her company.

But I also want to make sure that Ozzie and her friend would get along. I understand that sometimes they wont, but I still want the two to be able to kinda play around and have fun together, as company and stuff. So if I do get another, would it be bad for fighting, or at least how bad would it get. That sorta thing.

Any answers would totally help!

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
1. Read on websites! They have tons of good information! Books tend to have outdated information or just plain wrong information. Here is a link: https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

2. Yes! Social animals need companions to provide enrichment to their lives. Guinea pigs are actually really social, so aggression isn't much of a concern. I have females and they do get short with each other when they are in heat, but it is never too bad (one asks for more space; the other gives it) and it's over in a few days.

Gabriele_

Cavy Slave
Hi there! I know that every single page you read on a website will tell you that you NEED to have more than 1 guinea pig and they can't all be wrong but Im in the same situation as you so I have only one pig too. I honestly don't see how its affecting him at all because he doesn't show any signs of being sad or lonely or whatever. He's fine with my company as well as his own time. He popcorns all the time and just seems generally fine. I look after him well so I really wouldn't panic too much about not being able to get a 2nd guinea pig.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Hi there! I know that every single page you read on a website will tell you that you NEED to have more than 1 guinea pig and they can't all be wrong but Im in the same situation as you so I have only one pig too. I honestly don't see how its affecting him at all because he doesn't show any signs of being sad or lonely or whatever. He's fine with my company as well as his own time. He popcorns all the time and just seems generally fine. I look after him well so I really wouldn't panic too much about not being able to get a 2nd guinea pig.
Popcorning can mean many things. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't tell if he's depressed. They are prey animals after all.

My first pig didn't popcorn until after I got her a friend. Yes she popcorned before, but not happily.

Guinea pigs need friends. It keeps them happier and healthier. They also live.in herds in the wild.

Pros:
Happy pigs
Longer life
Enriched life
Companion for when your not home
Can be a snuggle buddy
Someone to play with
Some that *understands* them
Someone to talk to
Watching them Play/eat/sleep together
Watch them play chase
They can learn from each other
You can [possibly] tell if one is sick easier
It's not that more expensive

Cons:
You need a bit bigger cage [2x4 C&C cage for two females, 2x5 C&C cage for two males]

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
1. How do I learn the basics of my guinea pig.
You learn the basics by asking questions. Joining this forum is a great first step.

2. Do they really, really need companions?
They do. Guinea pigs are social animals. Having a companion of the same sex (or opposite if at least one is fixed) alleviates boredom and it gives them someone to communicate with. Think of it like this - imagine being plopped onto another planet. The aliens take care of you. They provide for all your needs but you can't communicate with them. They can't communicate with you. You live your days and nights like this. You are alive but that's about it. It's a boring, depressing life.

Then imagine one day the aliens give you another human to live with. Suddenly you have someone who understands you. Someone you can communicate with and hang out with. Suddenly, your boring, depressing life has meaning again. You are happy.

It's the same for guinea pigs. They need that interaction and communication from another guinea pig. With proper introductions most can live together peacefully.
but two? So because of this, I was wondering if they absolutely need a companion. I would actually love to get her one because I have school from 7 am to 3 pm (though I get home at four due to the bus ride) so I think it would be nice for her to have someone to keep her company.

But I also want to make sure that Ozzie and her friend would get along. I understand that sometimes they wont, but I still want the two to be able to kinda play around and have fun together, as company and stuff. So if I do get another, would it be bad for fighting, or at least how bad would it get. That sorta thing.

With the 21 day quarantine, PROPER introductions and a large enough cage two males can live together peacefully.

Last edited:

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hi there! Im in the same situation as you so I have only one pig too. I honestly don't see how its affecting him at all because he doesn't show any signs of being sad or lonely or whatever.

Years ago, when I had my first pig, I had the same thought. "He seems fine by himself. Doesn't seem sad or lonely". It wasn't until I got him a friend that I saw this almost immediate change in him. He really came to life. He made sounds I had never heard him make before and they became instant friends.

Gabriele_

Cavy Slave
Popcorning can mean many things. I wouldn't be surprised if you can't tell if he's depressed. They are prey animals after all.

My first pig didn't popcorn until after I got her a friend. Yes she popcorned before, but not happily.

Guinea pigs need friends. It keeps them happier and healthier. They also live.in herds in the wild.

Pros:
Happy pigs
Longer life
Enriched life
Companion for when your not home
Can be a snuggle buddy
Someone to play with
Some that *understands* them
Someone to talk to
Watching them Play/eat/sleep together
Watch them play chase
They can learn from each other
You can [possibly] tell if one is sick easier
It's not that more expensive

Cons:
You need a bit bigger cage [2x4 C&C cage for two females, 2x5 C&C cage for two males]

Well Im sorry to burst your bubble there but not all of us are able to have more than one guinea pig. Of course Im not going to have 2 of them in a pet shop cage and there's no way I can build my own cage for various different reasons. Also, we don't all live in giant houses where you can have a cage big enough for 10 guinea pigs.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Well Im sorry to burst your bubble there but not all of us are able to have more than one guinea pig. Of course Im not going to have 2 of them in a pet shop cage and there's no way I can build my own cage for various different reasons. Also, we don't all live in giant houses where you can have a cage big enough for 10 guinea pigs.
Neither do I. I live in an apartment where my room is the size of our tiny living room. The kitchen can barely fit a person and small cat, and the master bedroom is the size of a proper living room.

The best thing for your pig is to get them a friend. If you can build your own cage great! Try looking for a space anywhere. On a table, on the floor, on a desk. Anywhere really

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I used to have a 2x4 grid C&C cage in my 10x11 bedroom. Totally worth it. My single pig's attitude also changed dramatically when she wasn't alone anymore. She ran laps around her cage more often and didn't hide in her pigloo anymore if I sat and watched her/them. Again, totally worth it. Having three wasn't that much more work than having one.

Sballin

Cavy Slave
Welcome to thé forum! A couple things you need to know, yes your piggy needs a friend! Its really not hard to take care of two its no different then having one really plus your pig will be so much happier! Since you have a girl introductions will more than likely go smooth, girls are easier to get along then boys usually anyway all pigs are different. Since you got her from a pet store I would watch her closely for illness or preganancy, both are very common in pigs from pet stores, not trying to scare you I just want to make sure your informed Since it seems thé lady at thé store didnt inform you on anything! If you do décide to get a friend for her I would see if there are any resuces in your area and try and adopt from there, they can help inform you on proper pig care also! Ok now lets talk cages, im guessing shes in a pet store cage? That is too small for even one pig. Look on This site and research c&ç cages, your pig will Thank you for it! You have come to thé right place so if you have other questions dont hesitste to ask! Your girl is adorable by the way!!!!

Sballin

Cavy Slave
My pigs are in my room and I still managed to make room for a 2x4 with a loft.... Even one pig shouldnt be confined to a pet store cage its really not fair to the pig. Even if you cant build à c&c there are alternatives like midwest cages which are definitely better then a pet store one

sophienotsofie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to thé forum! A couple things you need to know, yes your piggy needs a friend! Its really not hard to take care of two its no different then having one really plus your pig will be so much happier! Since you have a girl introductions will more than likely go smooth, girls are easier to get along then boys usually anyway all pigs are different. Since you got her from a pet store I would watch her closely for illness or preganancy, both are very common in pigs from pet stores, not trying to scare you I just want to make sure your informed Since it seems thé lady at thé store didnt inform you on anything! If you do décide to get a friend for her I would see if there are any resuces in your area and try and adopt from there, they can help inform you on proper pig care also! Ok now lets talk cages, im guessing shes in a pet store cage? That is too small for even one pig. Look on This site and research c&ç cages, your pig will Thank you for it! You have come to thé right place so if you have other questions dont hesitste to ask! Your girl is adorable by the way!!!!

Thank you! And that's what my mom worried about when we got her. I sure hope she isn't pregnant because I don't think I can handle so much yet. Although she might not have a huge litter and all that stuff. I wouldn't mind little babies but it would mean extra care.

And as for the cage, I got it from a local Farm and Fleet. The branding says Pet Lodge (at least that's what it says) and is 25" wide x 16" deep. It's kinda big and spacious (at least I think so) or at least big enough for two. Ozzie just stays in the corner most of the time so that's the main reason why I want another little piggy. Thanks again for your help!

sophienotsofie

Cavy Slave
1. Read on websites! They have tons of good information! Books tend to have outdated information or just plain wrong information. Here is a link: https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

2. Yes! Social animals need companions to provide enrichment to their lives. Guinea pigs are actually really social, so aggression isn't much of a concern. I have females and they do get short with each other when they are in heat, but it is never too bad (one asks for more space; the other gives it) and it's over in a few days.

Thanks for the website link! I checked it out and it seems to help a lot with different things that I'll need to know. That, and along with how the two would act together. Again, my main concern is if they don't get along so it really is reassuring.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
And as for the cage, I got it from a local Farm and Fleet. The branding says Pet Lodge (at least that's what it says) and is 25" wide x 16" deep. It's kinda big and spacious (at least I think so) or at least big enough for two. Ozzie just stays in the corner most of the time so that's the main reason why I want another little piggy. Thanks again for your help!

A 2X4 C&C cage which would be the bare minimum for two males is 28" X 56". So I definitely wouldn't get another pig until you get a much bigger cage.

sophienotsofie

Cavy Slave
A 2X4 C&C cage which would be the bare minimum for two males is 28" X 56". So I definitely wouldn't get another pig until you get a much bigger cage.

I hope that'll be soon! I showed my mom those fancy cages that have two levels for guinea pigs. I've seen it used by a YouTuber I watch who has that for her two guinea pigs and they seem to love it. I just think I need more space and things like that for the two. Hopefully that'll be soon, but until then, I think I'll stick with Ozzie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.