Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Whats up with my guinea pig i need help :/ (pics)

beatjunk

Cavy Slave
He's not sick or anything it's just that he cries ALL the time and i dont really know what to do. i feed him and he cries, i let him run around outside and he cries, i let him run around inside my room and he cries, he doesnt like to be held, i put him inside his cage and he cries even louder. every time he sees me he cries.. its like one of those loud wheek noises they make. but ULTRA MEGA LOUD. i bought him at a pet store about 3 days ago. he's kind of small. can anyone help me out? here's some pictures of him DSC03080.jpgDSC03077.jpgDSC03074.jpgDSC03079.jpg

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
He's probably a very lonely little piggy. He went to living with a bunch of pigs in the store to being completely by himself. I would suggest you wait a few weeks to make sure he is healthy (pet store pigs are often sick) and then ADOPT him a same sex friend. Pet stores are the worst places to support, when you purchase an animal from there you are supporting the nasty mills that pump out hundreds of sick animals for the sake of a profit.

How big is your cage? What are you feeding him? I sincerely hope you did your research before up and buying a guinea pig. They are a lot of work, time and money. I consider guinea pigs just as much, if not more work than a dog when it comes to upkeep.

beatjunk

Cavy Slave
the cage is really big for him he has enough room to run around and stuff really, have fed him some vegetables like carrots and lettuce and those green pellets, and sometimes let him out to eat some grass (no chemicals have been put on the grass for bugs), yeah i did my research, i had a guinea pig before. i think he is lonely :(

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
He might be lonely or just really excited. I suggest a friend for sure. I have one piggie that is very vocal every time I walk passed the cage. I'm sure he's fine. Give him lots of love and, eventually, a friend.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree that he's probably lonely and needs a friend. You should contact your local guinea pig rescue to see if they can recommend a buddy for him.

Kieri

Cavy Slave
he looks SO young. i don't have any experience with very young pigs, but you can tell by the size of his feet he's super young. :( i hope he wasn't taken from mommy too soon.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
He is crying and calling because he is horribly lonely. Guinea pigs are such social animals that need companionship of their own species. In some parts of the world it it illegal to have just one guinea pig, and I wish it were that way here in the US as well.

I would look for rescues in your area and adopt a same gender companion for him. Are you sure it's a male?

You may think your cage is large now, but have you checked out cage size standards at Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (the front page to this site)?

Cavalicious

Cavy Slave
Some links since you're in L.A.:

L.A. Guinea Pig Rescue in Chatsworth. After quarantining your little one (who is very cute), and confirming his sex, I'd consider pairing him up with an older pig who has passed puberty.

Solter Plastics in West L.A. for coroplast sheets. To make a cage, you can buy them for $30. It's enough to make a 2X4 C&C. You can get grids at Bed, Bath and Beyond, which is conveniently across the street from Solter.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I agree with that he is lonely. Also more then likely he is not used to being handled by humans. This is something that will just take time. Try and get him to take treats (veggies/fruit) from your hand in and out of the cage. The best way to a piggies heart is through their tummies.

I would suggest getting an older pig (same sex or fixed pig).

But before you do, upgrade his cage to a C&C. He'll thank you in the long run.

beatjunk

Cavy Slave
yeah im gonna try and build him a bigger cage like those C&C ones and then get him a new friend

pocketmonster

Cavy Slave
I definitely suggest getting an older piggie for your baby! My Scout is 3 and takes on the task of being the companion to a spunky, hyper baby really well! He's always been laid back and passive so perhaps you could try and find a pig with his same temperment. You MUST get a bigger cage, because when your baby gets older and more comfortable, he's going to get SO hyper and popcorn everywhere! I watched my baby Harper do laps around his c&c last night for 10 minutes. Your baby will thank you when he has a friend to cure his loneliness and more space to stretch his guinea legs :)

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Just thought I would add this, seeing as you didn't mention that you feed hay. Grass is good for them, but unless you can provide it 24/7 in unlimited quantities, you need to also offer good quality grass hay that he has access to all the time. Please do some forum searches and read the stickies, it appears that you have a lot of learning to do when it comes to pig care.

beatjunk

Cavy Slave
I definitely suggest getting an older piggie for your baby! My Scout is 3 and takes on the task of being the companion to a spunky, hyper baby really well! He's always been laid back and passive so perhaps you could try and find a pig with his same temperment. You MUST get a bigger cage, because when your baby gets older and more comfortable, he's going to get SO hyper and popcorn everywhere! I watched my baby Harper do laps around his c&c last night for 10 minutes. Your baby will thank you when he has a friend to cure his loneliness and more space to stretch his guinea legs :)

yeah i know im going to start working on his cage later this week. after its all finished im going to get him a friend. he's kind of calmed down now. he seems to shut up when i give him a little piece of cucumber and some cilantro lol then goes to sleep.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
yeah i know im going to start working on his cage later this week. after its all finished im going to get him a friend. he's kind of calmed down now. he seems to shut up when i give him a little piece of cucumber and some cilantro lol then goes to sleep.

Instead of trying to "shut him up" with food, spend as much time as you can with him. Giving him food will keep him quiet but it won't console his loneliness!

beatjunk

Cavy Slave
Instead of trying to "shut him up" with food, spend as much time as you can with him. Giving him food will keep him quiet but it won't console his loneliness!

lol i didnt mean it like that i mean yeah he get's quiet. yeah i am spending more time with him! and today i've seen him do that popcorning thing guinea pigs do and i got all happy lol

SpicyPiggies

Cavy Slave
He's probably just adjusting! I definitely suggest a piggie friend!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.