Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Maximus von Lichtenwalder - KiwiCavyAdorer's foster child-pig

Hi folks,

Maximus von Lichtenwalder made it very clear to me just now that it HIGH TIME I visited the site to let him let his friends know how and what he is up to....

Does anyone elses guinea pigs sleep down hill? Maximus von Lichtenwalder was lying fast asleep on the down hill slope of his middle cushion hind legs kicked uphill defying gravity!

He was most annoyed when I looked up, got startled and send him a bolt of concern thought. He moved in his sleep and began chattering his teeth until I dropped my eyes and took a deep breath! I swear this guinea pig is amazing...

So some cage, progress.
I removed the front flaps of the corner cages which I had opened and flipped onto the roof. I didn't like the way they poked up and while my original idea had been to use them in creating a nice little set of snuggle spots, it didn't work out in reality.

I took off the peices of wood that I'd placed up there to create walking surfaces, and cut a large single cardboard box to cover the entire roof surface and still allow the stairway to heaven to drap over his middle bed and still be his sling ramp upwards.

Today I added his first cardboard box up stairs next to his much loved sheep cushion bed. He was so excited when I layered U-haul to pad out the cardboard box bottom that he popcorned himself silly up there. He ran and jumped down onto the stairway to heaven and leaped onto is alfresco dining platform so athletically that Allan and I were just in fits of laughter.

Such a dude, he is now hanging over his bowl mining snacks...:D

Don't you just love it when they popcorn because of something you did for them?

Yes I sure do! It's like a wee gift each time. Somehow very special and taken personally - I love it and it just seems to inspire more from us... perhaps this observation is as true today...

The Greatness of a Nation
and it's moral progress
can be judged by the way
it's animals are treated

Mahatma Gandhi
1869 - 1948

MEETING OUR LOCAL VET - Mike

Maximus von Lichtenwalder went to the vet. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the wee man, but I wanted to watch the vet handle him, see how he clips the front leg nails and cleans the butt....

Our vet's name is Mike, and I'll refer to him by name. Mike was honest and upfront about never having cleaned a perineal sac before. He has experience with ferret's in the clinic but not often guinea pigs. He has a guinea pig at home, so he is familiar with handling them. I figured that it would be a win win situation if he would be willing to have a look at Maximus von Lichtenwalder's butt and the clinic lady Jo was very open to learning about GuineaLynx and Guinea Pig Cages. I sent them the link to Brimstone's video's on sac cleaning holds.

So I had watched Brimstone's sac cleaning video's on GuineaLynx a number of times. And when we arrived there they were on Mike's computer screen. We discussed what hold might suit the wee man; belly up or belly down... I thought that was really nice of him to ask. Since I don't hold wee man upside down for anything I thought feet on the ground would perhaps be better tolerated.

See, that way I could conveyer-feed the uber delicious salad straight into the mulcher. My plan was to leave with a calm happy, if slightly indignant, piglet...

Mike was wonderful clipping his nails, wee man tried to discipline him off the front paws but Mike calmly took no notice at all and carried on. Of course grapes cut in half are a terrible distraction because they are a rare treat. Tactics.

Once we had the nails all nice and short as possible, not a drop of blood, we attempted the pig-burrito. Maximus von Lichtenwalder was ever so tolerant, and we had to wrap, unwrap, fold and re-wrap the poor dude before we got to a burrito size that fitted the filling.

I had taken slightly warmed and just melted coconut oil with me, and a towel that was "his" just in case. While we didn't use his towel it sat on the examination table for reasurance. I moved around the table applying salad and herbs to keep the wee man focused in the right direction.

Q-tip insertion met with some rather louder than usual exclamations but the sage leaves soon put a stop to that. The world seems to stand still for a sprig tip of sage leaves, which handily let Mike explore the perineal sac. Primarily going to the top and sides. He was quite clean (not that I know what dirty can be outside of my very active imagination...)

I am glad we went to Mike for this job because I would have been inclined to go all around top sides and bottom of the sac....

Maximus von Lichtenwalder did reach a point where he declined salad and had wiggled his way forward in the burrito, burrowing his nose into his Daddy's tummy. Allan took over stroking his head while Mike showed me what he was doing. We had a look at the sticky patch of fur on wee mans lower back above the butt area, and Mike cleaned a good spot of the gunge off with coconut soaked Q-tips, it seemed to be quite ticklish but wee man was enjoying this treatment so much no-one needed to hold him at all. We just had barrier hands some distance off him, in case... (it's a long drop off that table...) I am to continue the cleaning at home because Mike felt that he had reached a good point to end on, and I was very keen to continue myself in a day or two.

It's very important to me that my animal friends have good memories of seeing their vet. I was surprised that Mike felt so too. It was also nice that we felt as though we were given Time, there was no sense of being rushed at all, far from it.

For NZ$30 the treatment our lads nails, greasy butt fur and butt sac received we couldn't be happier not to mention the peace of mind and confidence we gained!. It was an unexpected learning curve for all involved and a good win win foundation built. Thank you GPC and GL the effects of your work and dedication to wee ones around the world is being felt and certainly greatly appreciated !

Poor little Maximus having his bum cleaned! But it sounds like it all worked out in the end and he wasn't to bummed out:D!

Three of my four boys are very vocal about sac cleaning, but I tell you Roger acts as if he's having a spa day! He relaxes with his back towards me and belly up. I swear there are invisble people standing over him with palm leaves fanning him while placing grapes in his mouth! It's a good thing Roger likes to have his little "spa days" because he is the dirty bum piggy of the bunch:yuck:!

Please let us know how you and Maximus survive home bum cleaning. I am happy to hear Mike is one of the good vets that truely care about his smallest patients.

:D I think you just inspired a chapter title... thanks Hhbean !!

Yes I sure do! It's like a wee gift each time. Somehow very special and taken personally - I love it and it just seems to inspire more from us... perhaps this observation is as true today...

The Greatness of a Nation
and it's moral progress
can be judged by the way
it's animals are treated

Mahatma Gandhi
1869 - 1948

Tammy, I love how you are with Maximus...you are such a sweet, and tender-loving person, you truly are so special.❤️ I also LOVE that quote from Gandhi, how true, how true !

Poor little Maximus having his bum cleaned! But it sounds like it all worked out in the end and he wasn't to bummed out:D!

Three of my four boys are very vocal about sac cleaning, but I tell you Roger acts as if he's having a spa day! He relaxes with his back towards me and belly up. I swear there are invisble people standing over him with palm leaves fanning him while placing grapes in his mouth! It's a good thing Roger likes to have his little "spa days" because he is the dirty bum piggy of the bunch:yuck:!

Oh Heather ! You had me in STITCHES of laughter,lol over the above things I highlighted in BOLD print ! Just too funny ! You are such a delight !❤️

I just realised that I didn't say in my reply how I laughed at Heather's post too, I can't believe it!! at the same time as I imagined how I'd write what I'd put in that chapter... I also recall "asking you in my mind" if you'd mind that Heather??... and I see I didn't put that on the reply post either... crikey like a forget professor...

I had tears in my eyes and giggled afterwards through the afternoon... Roger DUDE the state you keep your butt in takes you straight to bliss ... you picked just the right Mom !!!:D

Well ! I am pleased to announce that I have managed the butt cleaning on two more occasions, while the wee man is straddling Daddy's arm. It's not so bad really. The thing that worried me the most was not knowing how far in to put the q-tip.

Nails are due next. I've managed to trim the hind nails just fine, but those front ones... hmm! Perhaps the vet was wise to have him standing for it? Not having the outright experience I just don't know. Might have to end up taking wee man off to "Uncle Mike"...

I'm updating the diary because I've done a wee house alteration. I've been using puppy pads lately on top of the U-Haul pads. Simply because it's summer and water restrictions are encouraged. Also because when I head off overseas Dad will have the added chore of cleaning and I know with his schedule adding two extra washes to his week is better avoided.

I like the puppy pads, they are brilliant at odour control I must say. And most importantly Maximus von Lichtenwalder popcorns on them a lot!. So it got me thinking, I wonder if I put the puppy pads up on the second storey as well? Would he accept that feel. No problems there at all. I had to staple them into the calzone douvet though and that did trouble me. I've had a clean and wash today - of the calzone douvet and tonight he has the Uhaul pad with puppy pads on top of that. I'll be interested to see how comfy he sleeps tonight. I'll drap the mohair blanket over instead of the calzone douvet - it's drying.

I wanted to see how wee man would take to burrowing in hay. There are such lovely stories on here about their antics in hay. So I covered the puppy pads on the lower level with a couple of big slabs of hay.

It's not timothy. Just plain NZ meadow hay. No interested. Not one bit.... hmm I waited a couple of days and yes he dashes over the top of it. Lies in two spaces on the edge of it and snoozes there. But does not venture onto the slabs to fruffle in it at all. I wonder if it's too stalky? there is high percentage of narrow poky grass stalks. He eats them... but. I wonder if I should put a much less amount in there and fluff it all up for him first?

I'll post on what transpires !!

Yes, I think the wee man would enjoy you fluffing the hay before he romps through his medow. You are more then welcome to use anything you find interesting or inspiring about my boys in whatever form you chose. I just wanted to add one thing to the Roger bum cleaning, hope you like it :D

Thanks Hhbean for the the delightful butt photo of Rog!! and the fluffing of the hay advice. It did prove sound. Wee man von Lichtenwalder does like it better.:love: Oh the joy of being approved of ...

to which I must add another abode adjustment... hubby and I were having luncheon at the piglet's outdoor playpen. It was a lovely day and we decided to make a small paddock surround to the sturdy roofed "hutch" so he could do real laps. hee heee heeee !!

It has worked magnificently !!! He Loves it out there when I am with him. Lying down or standing or sitting, he is always close to me. If I move about doing things he is not as happy, and tries to get into his enclosed roofed bit. Today I was lying in there with him and he came and licked my nose.

In-fact the outside grass area is so favored by the wee man that we have turfed out an area of lawn and fitted it to the base of one of the corner cages that form his lower level indoor abode. While the weather is good at this time of year and he can be outside during some of the day, his grass portion indoors lasts all week, 7 days. On the weekends we'll turf out a new section for him. For the joy of watching him at home the effort is nothing.

I honestly can't tell you how he loves this new improvement, the joy is unbelievable - he seems to popcorn in there almost constantly as he grazes or walks across it. As if his wee feet can't get enough of the feel of the lawn...

:love: WHISTLING !! :love:

Maximus von Lichtenwalder whistled last night during his floor time free range around the lounge - right in front of his Dad - it was So Beautiful and LOUD. What an amazing sound!

and this time I Knew it wasn't some bird outside I saw his little lips moving and it was already night all quiet, so I was Sure it was him... and that means I've heard him whistling before now and didn't know it Was him...

I just love this little dude

xxxx

:love:THE ARRIVAL OF A ROOM MATE :love:

Well February saw us move yet again, on the one hand moving around to try out different areas is fun and its amazing how different places feel. I'm beginning to think that people either resonate with a place or area or they don't to different degrees.

Maximus von Lichtenwalder made the move in the wicker laundry basket under a pile of fluffed up hay on a comfy padding at bottom. The cat ( she answers to Beautiful ) was extremely good - which was a huge relief. She had the back and the wee man was strapped into the front seatbelt.

While boxes and furniture was shifted about Maximus von Lichtenwalder had one corner cage on the 4 seater dining table. We ALL noticed the restriction this smaller cage made to life, and he had his outside secure playpen.

Since I had scrubbed down the other side of his normal abode and everything had been washed I thought I would take him to see a lady who was trying to home a 5 week old male. I cleaned out the side he was using and set off with him in the laundry basket.

The wee Roomy was living with a tiny baby rabbit... in an outside hutch, much like my wee man's playpen.

I held him to see if he would settle on me and while his heart was racing he did settle his front feet and didn't try to leap or wriggle or bite...

I asked to see them together and we found a biggish plastic bin, put some hay in it and then the little one - I got my wee man out of the car and brought him over to look from a height - the joy and utterances were so marked. Maximus von Lichtenwalder wriggled to get to the little piglet, and whistles were made, not piping alarm whistles JOY whistles! then the conversations started and they followed each other around sniffing and chatting away. We put in a carrot and an apple piece and both them stopped to munch.

It was as if Maximus von Lichtenwalder realizing he was the ONLY cavy on earth was overcome with joy. Of course I had to take wee piglet home, there was No Way on earth I could separate wee man from his Other.

The thought of this new pig in the laundry basket unnerved me. I had the dog with me. But to my utter surprise both piglets snuggled up and slept. They were content to sleep while I rebuilt the big double cage and alfresco dining platform set up. Then I woke them and popped them on the platform.

Once home and in the big 6 seater dining table set up the behaviour of Maximus von Lichtenwalder changed a bit...
He chased the little one from one sleeping place and hidey to the next, when the little one tried to burrow under the hay Maximus von Lichtenwalder sat on top of him. This alarmed me. The little one squeaked in alarm and I flicked my lad with my finger to get him off. He did get off. For a while just the chasing. I made a hot drink and sat a little way a way. More chasing, and then the little one seemed to get fed up with it and he snapped at wee man. Ha! I thought good! A big sleep followed shortly after. I prepared a salad and some fruit. When they woke up they had a big feed. I had to flick my wee man on one further occasion to get off the little one and that was the sum total of the distress and property negotiations. I am extremely lucky.

It was funny that Maximus von Lichtenwalder tried to defend all the food area's until he realised it wasn't worth the effort. It was the most exercise he'd had since our final pack and the move. Thank heaven I had him free range most evenings on the floor a few weeks prior to the big pack.

So wee man FINALLY has a friend. Friend is not yet named. He has been very skittish - quite afraid of hands, and moving indoors has been a big change for him. I am SO GLAD I took the plunge and the meeting was so friendly and successful. I have watched them closely and I do see the value in their processes of chasing as I see it leads to following and eating together. ❤️

I'm so glad he's OK. Keep us updated!

Do we get to see pig-tures of the newest little man?

So happy Maximus has a little buddy! It's so funny, because we also have a 2 new additions. We are fostering 2 girls for another forum member, they are upstairs far from the boys:cheerful:. The little girl must think we're planning on cooking her up for dinner because she is very vocal when I pick her up. The older girl is just the sweetest, cuddliest pig in the world(right after Huey that is)! I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about their adventures togather. Good luck with the name!

Thanks Guys <3 <3

Hi folks,

I brought in a memory stick (back in the library to get an internet connection grrr! once a week if I am lucky!) My battery does not like this set up... and the memory stick now tells me to initialize it... the computer shop up the road tells me it's died and they Might be able to retrieve data off it... grrrr rrrr!! (throws a silent neat tantrum)

So yes I was going to pop up a photo of the newest wee man. Sorry.

I can't believe how fast these dudes grow !!

BumBum (the only part of him we saw for the first few days) is dashing off more sedately these days. He is showing us his nose from time to time, and recently has gotten brave enough to snatch the odd thing from my fingers. This morning to my utter amazement he almost normally walked up to the sage leaf and slowly opened his mouth and started to stamp it with his teeth before yanking it out of my fingers and turning the BumBum on me to gobble it.

When I put them out the other day, for sunshine and fresh air, I decided to pin a cover over the top of the laundry basket and tucked them in the roofed part. Now the funny thing is that since I did this, Maximus von Lichtenwalder has started to hop back up onto my forearm with his front feet when I go to pick him up... And BumBum does not dash off...
not even when they are in the outside playpen or their inside abode...

such tiny little things seem to make such a very big difference to these wee people.

But as yet I haven't had floor time in the new cottage. I think it's important probably only for me, that they are both very comfortable again with human hands before we go all out and wide open.

Neither will eat capsicum !! I am starting another set of herb gardens, so we have celery, sage, parsley, peppermint and coriander from home. And lots of different rough river grasses that I stuff into toilet rolls and peg onto the side of the walls, the long blades hang down and the chattering that this encourages is just so sweet. BumBum is Very loud - his whistles sound just like a bird and he popcorns around sort of winding himself up in volume, the noise of the video camera seems to hit the off button instantly so I haven't yet managed to record it. Maximus von Lichtenwalder seems so distinguished and mannerly in comparison to the wild joy that BumBum flings about the place.

Spy9Doc when you find the Right One you'll know it. There is no Time on that find. It's taken a few weeks but my wee man is starting to ask for his cuddles and Mum time again, I was a bit concerned there for a time that the new addition translated to a loss for me... but it seems that might not be the case after all... We are striking the pick me up pose several times a day over the last couple of days. Gosh I do love these wee folk. I am so glad Maximus von Lichtenwalder came my way.

Photo's will come I promise. A Tech friend would be great round about now in my world!

Hi folks,

well tech friend has not materialized and I am still in the horrid land of no internet at home. Horrid Horrid place to be in :melodrama

A small update before the library closes then...

Maximus von Lichtenwalder is doing well with his roomey BumBum Frizzy Whiskers - they are not close buddy's. They do not curl up together habitually nor seek to be close to each other unless there is some perceived threat. But they are very cute.

Maximus von Lichtenwalder is Definitely cage boss. He boots the little one off of Everything until he decides that access is allowed. Then he plops down like an indulgent Grandpa and watches on.

I was informed the other that BumBum Frizzy Whiskers would prefer to be addressed by the name of Einstein !!! I must profess that I am not quite used to using it though and often lapse. During these lapses I am perfectly ignored until I remember the right name. When I use it I am rewarded with attention and focus.

So Einstein it is then. Unless I forget and revert to BumBum the nickname initially used for his delightful white marked rear aspect. It is still very cute.

The biggest gift from Einstein is that I can handle his feet and underbelly with absolutely no reaction from pig. So very utterly different to Maximus von Lichtenwalder.

I'm also proud to announce that I have nail clipping off pat. I can now successfully address all of wee man's toe nails while Daddy holds him.

Einstein's toe nails are white and they are very much easier to clip. His nails are shaped differently as well. I think it must be the outdoor living he grew up in.

My stories, for those of you who were keen on getting a hold of, are coming along just wonderfully. But for now it's only the semi autobiographical horse stories that are available on CD, as a gift set.

When time permits me a proper long session I will catch you all up on the adventures of the lads... there are quite a few things I'd like to add here for several reasons.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.