Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Need some advice...

Danivia

Cavy Slave
Hello All! I curently have two little 6-8 week old Guinea Pigs and I'd like to create a C&C cage for when they get bigger, I'd like them to have enough space to play and have fun but I don't want to spend too much money... I know I need either a 2x3 C&C cage or a 2x4 C&C cage , If it's possible does anyone know where to find the Coroplast and Cage walls? Also, I heard that there is a certain cage that is a choking hazard due to it's larger squares. What is that so I can make sure to avoid it.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I bought grids yesterday at Kmart for 19.99 for 23 grids! I'm buying my coroplast from the guineapigcagesstore.com website

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Hello All! I curently have two little 6-8 week old Guinea Pigs and I'd like to create a C&C cage for when they get bigger, I'd like them to have enough space to play and have fun but I don't want to spend too much money... I know I need either a 2x3 C&C cage or a 2x4 C&C cage , If it's possible does anyone know where to find the Coroplast and Cage walls? Also, I heard that there is a certain cage that is a choking hazard due to it's larger squares. What is that so I can make sure to avoid it.
The grids that aren't safe have either 8 or 5 spaces in each grid, though they are still 14" wide. You want grids that have 9 holes across, no less. Here's some info on them: (broken link removed).

If you're having trouble finding coroplast and you have space, you could use one of those plastic kiddie pools that are around $5-$15 at a lot of places this time of year. If you have grids you can zip tie them around the pool so the babies can't get out but the walls should be a good height to keep them safe.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave

Danivia

Cavy Slave
WOW! Alright, the Coroplast will hopefully be easy to get! I will look at each of the options of the walls! For two Guineas should I have 2x3 or 2x4? Oh and my current Guinea living condition....

Attachments

IMG_20130705_155823[1].jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
How much space do you have? Bigger is always better.

Another source for coroplast. Usually $10 - $20 for 4x8 ft sheet. (This size sheet can make up to a 3x6 cage)
(broken link removed)

For the Home Depot coroplast, you can make up to a 2x4.5 cage.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I believe the 2x4 is recommended for two pigs, however if you can go bigger why not? I built a 2x5 yesterday and I know my future boars are going to love it :]

Danivia

Cavy Slave
Alright so..... 2x4 C&C cage and I'll get the cage walls from BedBathandBeyond and Coroplast from Home Depot! Hoping to get all of this by next week! One more thing should I use Fleece or Bedding? What toys or little items that'll make my babies the happiest? They like Cuddle Cups and cardboard tubes. x)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If you go for the C&C cage make a few fleece forest, they love them. Mine like cat balls with the bells in them. A big box of hay is fun or in a lunch bag. Mine have the most fun during floor time with the cat cube and tunnel. A second box of cage cubes zip tied together makes a quick floor time area. As for bedding, fleece if you have a washer and dryer. I split mine and now use fleece in the young guys and bedding in the old guy cage.

Danivia

Cavy Slave
Oh~ That sounds great! I'll need to go to PetCo and other stores that'll sell fun lil' toys :) Thank you all! I'll be busy planning for a few days! :D

BubbysDad

Cavy Slave
I ended up not being able to find the 9X9 squares when I made the playpen in the office. So I used to squares all the way around, then zip tied them together so they were actually smaller than the 9X9 squares are normally. Just made sure the spaces were small enough so he couldn't get his head stuck through the holes. As far as things to keep the occupied my guy loves the hanging hay ball, that I can't keep filled with hay. He also like the toilet paper rolls stuffed with hay. It seems to me it is trial and error for what works with each Guinea Pig.

niletak

Cavy Slave

niletak

Cavy Slave
I found huge pieces of coroplast at my local homedepot for about $11

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Definitely go as large as possible. Guinea pigs love the space! With C&C cages, I would definitely recommend that you try fleece bedding. The large space is expensive to fill with disposable bedding each week, and it's easier to clean with fleece. The pigs love fleece so much more too. As long as you are able to wash and dry the fleece effectively (either at home or a laundromat), fleece is a great option.

WOW! Alright, the Coroplast will hopefully be easy to get! I will look at each of the options of the walls! For two Guineas should I have 2x3 or 2x4? Oh and my current Guinea living condition....

This is just a side note, but do you have any hay in there? Hay is really important to your guinea pigs' health and nutrition, so please make sure they have a lot of soft, green, grass hay like Timothy hay or orchard grass available to them at all times -- 24/7. Also, make sure your pellets don't have any colorful bits, treats, seeds, etc. -- should be just plain brown pellets. Oxbow Timothy-based Adult Guinea Pig Food (from Petsmart) is a great brand.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I got my coroplast at my local sign shop. I have him cut it to the exact size I need and then I score and fold the walls up at home. I just did a quarantine 2x2 cage and the coroplast was $15. including tax. Not sure how much home depot is. I will have to check. Does anyone know if home depots come in translucent?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.