Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rabbits Bonding my rabbits need help!!!!

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I have two male unneatered rabbits. I am currently saving money to get one of my rabbits, Max nuetered. I am currently trying to bond them through a pen.But all the youtube videos ive watched say you can only bond rabbits who are both fixed. Is this true? I dont have the money at the moment to get both fixed, $360. for one is $180. I do have money saved up if one of my bunnies or piggies get sick. but I would like to keep that saved. So do you guys think if I get one fixed could they be bonded?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
They can bond without being fixed. One of my most bonded bunny pairs was an intact/neutered male pair. Bunny bonding is nothing like bonding guinea pigs, it could take weeks to get them bonded. Take things slow, read everything you can about it, go to the House Rabbit Society's web page and read about it, get a book and then when you feel confident start the bonding process.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you so much

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
@Inle_Rabbit could you give me a few things to do i tried today and one of my rabbits kept trying to attak the other.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Ok how do i only talk to one person like Ive heard some people say "message me"?

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Thanks but as you said before they dont both have to be nutered @Inle_Rabbit

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
It is easier to bond them if they are fixed. My best bonded pair was a neutered male with an intact male and honestly they got along great before I neutered the one too. I also had a neutered male with two intact females.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
ok then ill stick with my plane to nueter one male. thank you soooo much !!!!!!!! @Inle_Rabbit

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
So here's an update I started introducing the buns last night. I have got them to be together in an open spare room with no fighting or mounting for a while. There is a bit of chasing still, is that normal? Max is more dominant and has pulled out a lot of Murphy's hair. But no injuries. I have one question can I keep them in the same room separated by bars? Then ill try again max just decided he wants to beat Murphy up again so I separated after he stopped.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Rabbits pull out hair when they mount, I wouldn't worry too much about that as long as it is not from fighting. Yes, it is OK for rabbits to be seperated by bars and get to know each other that way. It is also perfectly normal for rabbits to have many "dates" before finally bonding. You may want to read up on bonding them in a car or waterless bath tub.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Ok thank you very much I'm gonna keep trying

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Is it normal for the less dominant bunny let the other more dominate one mount him? Like he will lay down right next to him and then let him mount him but other times he runs from it? I also would like to know at what point I should put them in a cage together for like always?

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Is it normal for the less dominant bunny let the other more dominate one mount him? Like he will lay down right next to him and then let him mount him but other times he runs from it? I also would like to know at what point I should put them in a cage together for like always?

The mounting is normal. Actually, it is sometimes a good thing, unless the other rabbit has an extreme reaction (squealing, biting). Only put the two together permanently once you are positive that everything is ok and they are not going to turn on each other. Quite a few 'dates' are a good idea beforehand, so you are confident the buns are happy in each other's presence. Don't feel rushed to put them together permanently, bunny bondings can take a long time. Only do it when you feel totally comfortable.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks!!!!!!!!

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
That is what I would have said too. Good advice @SophieBunny

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
That is what I would have said too. Good advice @SophieBunny

Thanks! Right now we are hoping to start bonding our two buns soon, a neutered 7 year old male and a soon-to-be-spayed 4 year old female. I've been trying to do as much research as possible, as our last attempt ended up with the female at the vets getting stitches in her lip. That was not pleasant. Fingers crossed this time we do everything correctly and all goes well!

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Poor girl! I'm glad you are spaying the female they tend to be more aggressive and territorial than the males. I hope things work out this time with two desexed bunnies!

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Poor girl! I'm glad you are spaying the female they tend to be more aggressive and territorial than the males. I hope things work out this time with two desexed bunnies!

Oh, it was horrible, I'd never seen her so unhappy. Yes, that was where we went wrong. We assumed that the male would be more territorial than the female, as his mate of 6 years had just passed away, but when we got the female home from the SSPCA she turned out to be incredibly feisty. I don't know who turned on who, it all happened so fast, but we saw that she was bleeding and rushed her to the emergency vets.
I am a bit worried about the spay though. I've heard that the anaesthetic and the actual surgery is a lot safer now, and I really do want her spayed to prevent uterine cancer and so that the buns can be bonded, but do you know of any risks there are and any precautions I should take to make sure the surgery goes safely? I am still trying to find a good rabbit-savvy vet to perform the surgery though. I just want to make sure that everything goes well.
Also, does spaying change a bun's personality? I know it doesn't in pigs, but the last time I had a doe spayed was 7 years ago and I cannot remember anything about after the surgery. Do you think that there's anything else I should know, about bonding them or spaying Sophie?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.