Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Moving cages with new pigs

ktvanderveen

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone!

I had a guinea pig and sadly had to put her down several months back. I am now feeling up to buying two new pigs, but I am wondering is it okay to bring them home to one cage (the cage I currently have) and then move them after a week (to the cage I have ordered)? With COVID-19, I want to go get the two new pigs before everything shuts down but my Midwest cage will not be here until next week. Is it okay to bring the pigs home to one cage (my smaller cage that I have now) and move them after a week or so (to the new, better sized cage)?

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are they adult pigs, or pups? I wouldn't put adult pigs in a small cage -- just changing cages can sometimes trigger aggression, and putting two adults in a small cage isn't a good idea.

ktvanderveen

Cavy Gazer
They will be pups, new from the pet store. I just want to get them, and don't want to miss out due to this crazy time in the world. But I also don't want to cause any issues with my new pets!

Also, thanks about the other post. Clearly new here and thought these were different boards and I thought I posted my other one wrong, but can't figure out how to delete it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We don't usually delete posts, but that thread will drop off the list because of lack of use.

Is it too late to talk you into adopting pigs rather than buying them? Pet store pigs are bred and raised in terrible conditions. They're often sold sick, with parasites, mis-sexed, and the baby sows are pregnant. You'd get healthier pigs from a rescue or shelter, and wouldn't be contributing to the animal abuse that the suppliers of the pet stores engage in. We'd be happy to help you try to find pigs to adopt rather than to buy.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Have you considered adoption? Many rescues are having a tough time getting people willing/able to foster animals, and i suspect there may be an influx of surrenders if people are unable to afford their pets if they lose their employment in this time, so adopting can not only provide animals a loving home but also help lessen the burden on rescues.

Once a thread is posted you can't delete it, you can also only edit posts for 10 minutes after it is posted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.