Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Guinea pigs fighting

Chelsy

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone I have 3 male guinea pigs I got them all at different times and introduced them separately it always went well they mounted on each other teeth chattered but only for a little bit and then they were completely fine. Well recently I got another one he has been with females his entire life I brought a blanket out with neither of my guinea pigs scents on it and it was an open space with places to hide food to eat and I introduced them one at a time and he lunged at them bit them showed his teeth mounted on them which I know these are normal things but they would get into fights and he would bite them and hold on and kick them and it got pretty bad I had to get gloves on so I could pick him up without getting bit and I don’t know what to do because every time I try it always ends in a fight and I don’t want to get rid of him but I can’t put any of them in harms way so if anyone has any suggestions or any ideas that would mean a lot!!

Give it up. Herds of boars are extremely difficult to manage, and introducing an additional boar into an existing herd will fail 99.9% of the time.

If your new boar will live peaceably with any one of the others, you could make a pair out of those two, and let the rest live together. But the attempt to introduce a new one may have "unbonded" your others, and you may now have several solo pigs.

So an update I have separated him from my others but now he’s biting his cage it’s bigger than the required size and he has plenty of hay and he has a tunnel Chew toys and a house.

He knows the others are there, that's why he's biting. You may need to line the inside of it with plexiglass to keep him from injuring his teeth.

If his cage is large enough to hold two pigs, you could find a guinea pig rescue and see if they've got a suitable cage mate for him.

Ok thank you but would he be fine if I got the plexiglass but didn’t get him a mate I know guinea pigs need others and that it’s wrong for them not to but he has others close by the he could talk to I just wanna do what’s best and I don’t want to get another pig and him be the same way :)

Ok thank you but would he be fine if I got the plexiglass but didn’t get him a mate I know guinea pigs need others and that it’s wrong for them not to but he has others close by the he could talk to I just wanna do what’s best and I don’t want to get another pig and him be the same way :)

Of course it’s best for the guinea pig to have a little friend but it’s not obligational to have another piggie especially with the one that is hard to find a match for. Yeah these pets are very social but looking at my pigs they are all in separate corners and don’t really like being too long next to each other. So he has someone to talk to and if you’ll give him enough attention he’ll be just fine. And I have some ppl that I know that own only one guinea pig and they are living the best life they could. Good luck! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would give him some time on his own and see what happens. Not all guinea pigs appreciate having another one around. It sounds like he doesn't really want to be with the other guinea pigs, he just wants to let them know that he is in charge.

I have a single female who was on her own when I adopted her. She is healthy, social, and active so I don't want to mess with that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.