Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Reasons/evidence why glass tanks are bad...

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Hello all. I have been searching on here all day trying to find somewhere that there is solid evidence that glass tanks and aquariums are bad for guinea pigs. I KNOW they are I'm trying to convince a friend that they are. I have given her this website and forum but she refuses to look at it. So I was hoping someone could link to a place that listed all the reasons why aquariums are bad for guinea pigs. I did a forum search and there were over like 2000+ posts with the word aquarium in it and I've gone through like 50+ posts and can't do it anymore with my SLOW internet connection. If you can find or know of a link either here or guinealynx I would really appreciate if you could post it. Then I can send it off to my friend and HOPEFULLY convince her that 3 adolescent male guinea pigs CANNOT be housed in a 20 gallon aquarium. O and they are making eachother bloody and she "doesn't know why". :melodrama AGGG! Some people just are unwilling to listen but I want to try to give her as much info as possible... Thank you guys!!!

The biggest reason is size. There aren't any that are an adequately sized to house a guinea pig. The lack of air flow increases the risk of upper respiratory infections.

Well, the main reason to me would be they are way to small for a guinea pig. It would be abuse to let one live in such a small enclosure. They need air and room.

The fact that it is closed off prevents proper air flow. The lack of air flow can cause a build up of ammonia from their urine and it can cause deadly respiratory problems.

Yes I understand that. I am looking for an actual list if there is one. I am perfectly capable of listing the basics but was looking for reasons other than too small and not enough air flow... Or a medical thread or something. Thanks

Oh! I completely misunderstood you, I am sorry! I will search around for a list as soon as I am able.

Hey there

Here's a link to the guinea pig care page on the ASPCA website..

ASPCA | Guinea Pig Care

It states never to house guinea pigs in an aquarium because of the poor ventilation.. There's even a downloadable version that you can print out.. I know it's only one sentence, but it's a relative strong one (cos it says 'never') by an authoritative body in the ASPCA ,so I hope it can still be of significant help..

I really cannot stand it that some people refuse to seek proper information and think whatever they do goes.. You'd really have to be some person to be like that... :grumpy:

Last edited:
It's me again

I know it's not a list either but I found a short video you could show her as many people are more receptive to watching a video over reading.

If you go to youtube and search for 'pet guinea pig housing', there is a video by expert village featuring an exotic animal health tech; another authority figure; who speaks about, well, guinea pig housing. I'm not going to link the video here though because it features a pet store cage.

However, she speaks briefly about why guinea pigs should not be kept in aquariums and also mentions avoiding injury from keeping multiple pigs in a small habitat.

I hope this can help too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.