Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Acting Strange?

BestGuineaPigs

Cavy Slave
I have a small male guinea pig, Badger, and when I fed him this morning, he was acting very strange. His head was tilted to the side, and his back/butt was twitching. He was eating fine, and he definitely wasn't popcorning It was weird and me scared my mom and I so much.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is he scratching? Does he show any sign of a runny nose or eyes? Any sneezing?

Head tilt is often a sign of an ear infection. Prompt antibiotic treatment may resolve it, and the head tilt may or may not go away. But even if the tilt remains, it shouldn't cause him any problems.

The butt-twitching may be due to mites, although I think you would also see him scratching if that's the case.

The two together, however, could possibly indicate a neurological problem. If he were mine, I'd get him in to a good exotic vet for a check-up. Don't bother with a dog-and-cat vet -- they're not trained in the care of exotics. Find a good exotic vet and get him checked out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.