Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Peeing less than ussual and less active

Gunieapiglover

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I noticed recently my two boys have been peeing a lot less than usual as there’s only been tiny bits of pee in there hutch. I’ve noticed this since Sunday. They’ve been popping although there poop seems a lot softer and keeps breaking everytime they step on it. Noticed this also since Sunday. Yesterday I watched them for 30 mins and they didn’t pee at all. Today I also watched them for a 30 mins and I noticed when they tried to pee inside there hide they would make a small sound almost like a Yelp. I’ve also noticed they’ve been less active with there veggies today. As they always wheek whenever they hear the gate open. Today they didn’t come out of there hides or wheek when I gave veggies till I tapped on there veg bowl. They’ve been eating there veggies since then but slower and more interested in eating hay. I did notice a pink stain on one of their hides they normal pee on but I don’t know if that’s to do with this or just change of colour of their urine over time.

there 7-8 months now.

I only want to get the vet involved if it’s necessary as I’m loosing funds due to not being back at my job yet due to the pandemic. (I do have guinea pig insurance through exotic direct) I do have enough if they do need a vet. Though

(p.s I forgot to update my previous post with them eating veg problem. Nothing major was wrong just one of the teeth was misaligned. They were back to there Normal selves a few days after that post (that was back when they were even younger so I know it’s not relate to that. )

Does anyone know what the problem is if there is one?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Do you weigh them regularly? It's a good idea to watch their weight, since guinea pigs often hide symptoms of illness. If this is something related to digestion I would expect a drop in weight.

It would be unusual for both of them to have developed UTIs or stones at the same time. Urine normally turns kind of orange as it dries. It can also change color based on the veggies they eat. For example, red leaf lettuce or dandelion greens can produce darker urine.

I would try offering 2 water bottles at 2 different heights so see if they are interested in drinking. And I would offer veggies that are rinsed and wet to get more liquid in their system. Then keeping an eye on their eating habits, weight, and activity.

Gunieapiglover

Cavy Slave
Do you weigh them regularly? It's a good idea to watch their weight, since guinea pigs often hide symptoms of illness. If this is something related to digestion I would expect a drop in weight.

It would be unusual for both of them to have developed UTIs or stones at the same time. Urine normally turns kind of orange as it dries. It can also change color based on the veggies they eat. For example, red leaf lettuce or dandelion greens can produce darker urine.

I would try offering 2 water bottles at 2 different heights so see if they are interested in drinking. And I would offer veggies that are rinsed and wet to get more liquid in their system. Then keeping an eye on their eating habits, weight, and activity.

I weighed them yesterday and they were 712g & 850g. The veggies & herbs they’ve had recently is kale, a bit of romaine lettuce, fennel, basil, mint. can any of those veggies or herbs cause pink pee stains? (I know bell pepper, beetroot and strawberries can but they’ve not had any red veg or fruit recently) and they already have 2 water bottles in the hutch. So the males don’t fight over it.