Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Espresso and Latte (piggies)

PEBBLES83

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone

I got some piggies about 2.5 weeks ago. Had a slight accident (twisted and popped my ankle bone out) during the final two days of moving out and thus the piggies are still in their temp cage. It was my hope to have made a c&c cage for them two weekends ago. I'm doing better (i did reinjure it last Tuesday) thus delaying my move another week. But i should be all moved in June 1

Anyways I'm not exactly new to piggies I did have near half dozen 2 yrs back. A horrible accident with my first piggie caused some serious depression and I made the choice to give the remaining 4 piggies to a better home (at that time it was just too painful to have them around and a part of me kept expecting and make.every effort to get them to be like.Mocha the one that died) and it wasn't happening. They weren't bonding and one started to bite me and I felt depressed.

I recently got the idea to try piggies again. And first day I got them. I felt slight regret. Worrying I'd bring up the memories of my loss. But i decided to hang in there. And I'm growing more and more fond of my pair as the days go by

Week after i got the piggies.

I was petting Expresso and he purred
Instantly, Latte stops eating and rushes over headbutt my hand away from Expresso and positions himself under my hand. Momentarily amazed. I froze. And Latte looks up at me and gives my fingers a nibble, saying pet me pet me

I'm glad I got back into piggies. I'm a bit fuzzy in their care info ( I've got the basics down) as it has been 2 yrs. So I hope to be able to ask questions when things pop up

My immediate question: Expresso my black short straight haired piggie. Has a thin line about 1 inch by 2 mm. Straight. Of thinned hair on the middle of his left ear. It's doesn't look like mites. Could it be fungus? I did get them at a pet store (sorry did try Craigslist etc) none within my city and I don't drive

What would u suggest I use to weed out if it's fungus. Would tinactin powder form work if just dusted that ear?

Anyways. Sorry I'm not known for being brief. But I'd love to get to know everyone and I'd love to see some 3x5 and 3x6 cages as that's what I'm planning on making my piggies

Re: Expresso and Latte (piggies)

Welcome! Im Abby, I have two male pigs named Sammy and Cody (Soon to be 4 piggies, Im getting two more males) To answer your fungus question, is it white, scabby, or irritating him in anyway? Do you have a picture? Read this: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

No. It's just like extremely mild dandruff is all I can think of. It isn't flaky it's just looks like a few sprinkles od baby powder. I touched it. He didn't even.notice. I looked closely it's not a scratch. They are both males. I was thinking fungus. Due to humidity cuz my present temp cage is very small. It's a near 2x3 feet but with 2 piggies. They pee buckets. It's only for about 6 more days 7 at the most. Presently I'm placing folded baby receiving blankets in the corner they tend to pee. And changing.that out twice a day. It's reduced the cage to almost dry. Today I tried to line the whole cage with a bath towel.over the mattress pad

Will tinactin foot powder be safe? I have chinchills and I add it.to their dust baths weekly as prevention

Welcome! Im Abby, I have two male pigs named Sammy and Cody (Soon to be 4 piggies, Im getting two more males) To answer your fungus question, is it white, scabby, or irritating him in anyway? Do you have a picture? Read this: https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html
I can't seem to post pics from my phone. And my computer doesn't have pics of my relatively new piggies. I got them few days before I was set to be moved in to new rental place but I had accident during moving my critter nations. I have not had time to take pics with a real camera and transfer pics to computer yet

I have 2 male piggies now. But it's my hope to get a few more (I'd like some girls, in another cage of course) but in the next few months I'll decide if that's really what I want as I have 2 chinchillas right now but I'm picking up 3 more from Victoria island soon after I'm moved in and I have one more prepaid chin local to me but that one will take some arranging on the breeders side to see when.she has time to drive down to me. As she's not near buses. So that plus there's one more chin I'd like to get. I'll have 7 chins and 2 piggies so I'll give it a few months. See how cage cleaning day goes. And then will.decide If i really want a second piggy cage. Or just buy a few more boys.

Espresso and Latte (piggies) here is a pic of our 3x5 without the stuff, good luck with your move.

Wow. That's huge. Thanks. It's easier to see than imagine. If my room fits it. I'll make this. It's a small place 450 Sq ft. The bedroom is small. I intend to build the cage all the way to the side edge of my bed I'll just get out of bed at the end of the bed lol
View attachment 65579 here is a pic of our 3x5 without the stuff, good luck with your move.

This cage measures about 3 1/2 ft by 6ft. If a double sized bed would fit in a space, this will with a little room to spare.

Well. My bed us a double. It has to fit in this bedroom with the piggy cage. So. I move in on Sunday. We have a church friend helping me move the bed and media stand solid.wood since I can't.move or lift heavy yet. Looking at it. It has room.for two doubles side by side. So I think I can.make a 3 by x. 5 or 6 will depending on how much gap between bed and xage. Cuz on the other wall is the closet. So. Either I leave closet door open. Or I gotta at least assume half feet. I know. I'm crazy. Once I move I'll post a pic of my other cage for the chins. Then u will know why I say I'm crazy

hello and welcome to g p c
there's lots of good info on here so take your time, have a look round, then dive in!!
i love this forum :D

Thanks =maddy harper;868114]hello and welcome to g p c
there's lots of good info on here so take your time, have a look round, then dive in!!
i love this forum :D[/QUOTE]
Thamks

that's all right
we like people to feel welcome at g p c :D

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Welcome! I see you like your coffee. :)

Also, sorry to hear about your injury. Get well soon!

See you around the forum!

I do like coffee. My next piggy hopefully if i get anymore. I'll be naming it PIKE (STARBUCKS) I HOPE TO get my next piggies from a breeder and not a petshop but presently I don't know of any legit.ones that sell pedigreed piggies so that's what I keep buying from.petshops
Welcome! I see you like your coffee. :)

Also, sorry to hear about your injury. Get well soon!

See you around the forum!

I hate to tell you, but you're almost certainly not buying a pedigreed pig from a pet shop. You're most likely getting an inbred pig that's been kept un crowded, unsanitary conditions.

Why not rescue one of the thousands of unwanted guinea pigs that are looking for a home? If you'll post your city and state, we'll help you find a shelter or a rescue near you.

Yes, please don't buy from stores or breeders. There are thousands of pigs out there in shelters and rescues that need loving homes. Supporting pet stores and breeders supports poor quality of care for pigs. Anybody here will be happy to help you find pigs to adopt that are in your area.

I hate to tell you, but you're almost certainly not buying a pedigreed pig from a pet shop. You're most likely getting an inbred pig that's been kept un crowded, unsanitary conditions.

Why not rescue one of the thousands of unwanted guinea pigs that are looking for a home? If you'll post your city and state, we'll help you find a shelter or a rescue near you.

I know that. I know petshop piggies are not pedigreed ones

I couldn't.find any breeders that sold.pedigreed.piggies. Backyard kind. Yes. Tons of.those.sellers. But i was hoping to get some pedigreed ones when I get.piggie (broken link removed) and 4

Yes, please don't buy from stores or breeders. There are thousands of pigs out there in shelters and rescues that need loving homes. Supporting pet stores and breeders supports poor quality of care for pigs. Anybody here will be happy to help you find pigs to adopt that are in your area.
I did look. There's no guinea pigs for adoption in Richmond bc. Outside of my city yes. But within. No.
And the thing with shelters is they want to do a home visit and I feel it's an invasion.of my privacy especially since when.I asked who is going to visit. They said it could be a random volunteer. So as far as I'm concerned it could be someone who started working there a week or.less. I'm.not comfortable with strangers esp in my home. I live alone. And I'm tiny. I feel scared. So. If it was the person in.charge od the shelter sure. But not some random volunteer.

I will be picking up 3 chinchillas.from a breeder in.early June. And another prepaid chin date unknown depends when that breeder has time to.come down to my city she's remote
In august to September I plan to add 2 piggies. Pair of girls. Would be my preference. But. That depend on if I really want to build a second.cage. Or just expand my cage. And get more boys instead. I have 2.boys right now

I've had piggies before. 1. Then.I.got her 4 friends. The same.day I got them.home. My first piggie. Had a fatal.accident. I had only.had her for.4 months but she bonded.with me in.just under 1 week. She would.happily sit on.my chest while I read a book.petting her. For hours. She was unusually calm.for.a piggie. And I transfered.those expectations to the new piggies after.her.sudden.death. And.when.they didn't.bond.in.a.week.or.even.a.month the depression of the loss of mocha got to be too much. And a part of me started to resent them. Cuz. They were alive and she wasn't. And I didn't.wanna try to bond.with them.anymore since I'd.given.up hope that they would.

A girl helped me realize. That mocha was special and that the chances od these new piggies displaying g that kind of calmness and willingness to be with me. Might not happen at.least not for months. And that I was placing expectations on the new piggies that was not realistic or fair to them. And a part of me realized this too. She suggested I either give them away temporarily and take a break.and.figure out If i.still wanted.to have pet.guinea pigs. Or just to rehome them.

I rehome them. To a lady that had a very big house and in.the basement was a 20x20 cage. It looked like zen garden indoor. Fake bridge and everything. It was beautiful. And so. I let thEm go. I didn't sell them. I just gave them to her. I felt u did the right thing. People on YouTube disagreed. They felt I should have kept them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.