Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine How often do guinea pigs pee?

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I'm not 100% sure whats wrong with pecan but besides her back legs not working and a couple of lumps I'm not sure if shes able to pee which is obviously an immediate issue. She peed at about 2:30 at the vet but the vet had to squeeze a little to get her to go. Its been almost 4 hours and she has still not gone on her own. I'm wondering if this is normal or if she should have gone by now. Her left side is swollen. Is that the side with her bladder? Does anyone know how to make a guinea pig pee? I don't know where to squeeze and I don't want to hurt her.
Shes been pooping but I don't think its a normal amount. She has been eating. Not sure about drinking.
We think this could be caused by an infection so she started baytril and metacam. Otherwise we are thinking mammary tumors because of where the lumps are but I don't know if mammary tumors would have anything to do with her back legs or not being able to pee. Could it be neurological?

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I called the emergency vet and she said its normal for them to go 6-8 hours. I gave her veggies and if she doesn't pee in a couple hours I'm taking her in.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
She peed. I would still like some opinions on what could be wrong but I will bring her to a more specialized vet tomorrow to get a second opinion. The regular vet is good but not the greatest with piggies.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Poor Pecan. Definitely take her to an exotics vet ASAP.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
Yeah I feel pretty bad for her but she isn't having too much of a hard time getting around and doesn't seem uncomfortable. I made her a new litter box with 1in front so she can easily get into it.
It sucks when piggies get old. All my girls are about 6 years and I didn't have many issues until now and all were pretty minor until now.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
If she's 6 (and not spayed) it could be an ovarian cyst. I hope you took her to the vet, if she's in pain she will try and hide it from you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.