Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Older pigs or younger.?

pitsladi

Cavy Slave
We are first time owners of two female piggiest we got for free unsure of age. But they don't seem active an one squeals an runs when try picking up an tries hiding when on lap. The other whistles when she hears me an lets us take her out. But unsure of age. Wondering if we should get babies or keep the two we have. ? Suggestions !!

Keep the two you have. I have 2- 0ne year olds and 2- four year plus. The young guys drive my old ones nuts.

I really don't care about age my boys are around 3. I think as long as you like their personality that should be the deciding factor. I think you should keep them all they need is tender loving care. Do you know what their living conditions were before you got them? If one is squealing when being picked up he may have not been handled right. Guinea pigs squeak its what they do. When I pick one of mine up and I have them in my arms they will squeak at me not realy loud its more like he's saying "why'd you pick me up I was comfortable". Just give them some time to settle down also not every pig is a cuddler some would rather be on the floor than in your arms or lap. Don't give them up just because of their personality quirks.

Thanks for the advice we were just curious. An idt there living conditions were good before we took them in. Over grown nails pine bedding an idk how much they were handled

Guinea pigs aren't shoes, you can't get a new pair when the pair you chose isn't 100% what you where expecting. They're more complex pets than most people think, they require effort, research, time and patience.

They're prey animals to pretty much everything else, so they're skittish by nature. They will run when you try to pick them up, all they see is a big scary thing coming towards them. They may never grow out of that either. The majority of pigs run from hands, even though they're fine and relaxed once you've got them. Ironically enough, the babies you considered replacing yours with would most likely be more squirmy and skittish than an older pair.

It sounds like you took these on very suddenly without doing much research before hand. Maybe you didn't get the chance to, I don't know, but you should certainly browse this forum in length, as well as CavySpirit, and GuineaLynx, so as you know what you're dealing with. They aren't the easy, no effort pet everyone assumes them to be.

Just like with my boys I doubt they got handled much. And they were probably gotten for kids who grew tired of them. Ive had them for little over a month and they've definitely come a long way. And they definitely have different personalities Cinna is more relaxed and likes being on my lap. Gin-Gin would rather explore than be stuck on my lap. Just take your time and let them set the pace maybe start by placing them on the floor instead of on your lap. Make sure they can't get stuck or anything like maybe put up a play pen. Also some people pick their pigs up with a cuddle sack so they feel more secure. You could also try the towel trick a lady on YouTube has a video on how to do it. Basically you rap them in a towel like a baby and take them with you around the house while you go about your day. This is supposed to make them feel like part of your day. I've never tried it but it may work in this situation.

Yea I did do research an I've had a Guinea before. Never thought they would be easy but since they been in our care they have been spoiled

I've heard people say who have dogs as well that their pigs are actually more work than their dog.

You're guinea pigs sound completely normal, no matter what age they are. It just sounds like you have one laid back, social one and one that just isn't really sure yet. Some guinea pigs remain skittish for life but it might be that the nervous one just needs some reassurance that you're not a threat. Best way to deal with that is to hold her a lot and don't cast a shadow on her when you try and pick her up. My skittish ones respond better when I pet them before picking them up. I have an almost 6 year old that runs away all the time but two others the same age that are like big blobs. I can pick them up anytime. I have three younger ones that are all different. Personally, I don't care for the youngsters. They tend to be wilder and you don't know what they'll end up like as adults. Your two sound like you have a good combination between them. I'd love to see some photos.

I've heard people say who have dogs as well that their pigs are actually more work than their dog.
@Starthecavy123 Yup! I have told numerous people the same thing. I have a one year old Golden Retriever and have had dogs my entire life. My pigs are more work than my dog. Spot cleaning 2-3 times a day and wash at least every 2-3 days. But I wouldn't change a thing as I love them to pieces!

You're guinea pigs sound completely normal, no matter what age they are. It just sounds like you have one laid back, social one and one that just isn't really sure yet. Some guinea pigs remain skittish for life but it might be that the nervous one just needs some reassurance that you're not a threat. Best way to deal with that is to hold her a lot and don't cast a shadow on her when you try and pick her up. My skittish ones respond better when I pet them before picking them up. I have an almost 6 year old that runs away all the time but two others the same age that are like big blobs. I can pick them up anytime. I have three younger ones that are all different. Personally, I don't care for the youngsters. They tend to be wilder and you don't know what they'll end up like as adults. Your two sound like you have a good combination between them. I'd love to see some photos.

Older pigs or younger.?Older pigs or younger.?

Brown one is cinnamon more out going. Whitish one is sugar she's more skittish

They are adorable and they look like they are doing just fine with laptime! If you can weigh them that may help tell if they are adults or not. They don't look like babies but they also don't look big enough for full grown, but it's really hard to tell from just a pigture.

They are so cute I can't even stand it oh my gosh... and I've seen a lot of guinea pigs through this forum lol.

Give them time to get comfortable with you. Basically ALL guinea pigs are skittish at first and most will always run away when trying to be caught even if they love cuddling. It's not personal. Lol They have huge personalities once they get comfortable! The best way to get them used to you is have cuddle time at least once a day with something they can hide in like a cuddle sack or towel. You can still pet them and see them and they can see you but they feel more secure because they are able to hide a little. Also hand feeding them veggies during this helps a ton. Do this in their cage when they get their daily 1 cup of veggies too. Not forever obviously haha just for a couple weeks. Yeah, lol, that's pretty much it, time, cuddling with something to hide in and hand feeding food. ;)

Also using a cuddle sack to get them out of their cage makes things way easier for you and less stressful for them. Just put it in there and kind of herd one in and scoop her up and presto, you caught a piggie! :D haha Mine didn't want to go in at first because they weren't entirely used to it but now they don't even try and avoid it, they just go right in. This is mainly because I usually always have two cuddle sacks in their cage and that's their favorite thing to sleep in/on. What is your cage set up like and where is it? Piggies are usually more skittish on the floor because you seem bigger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.