Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Starting a cavy rescue.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to know if anyone my age, highschool, has started a guinea pig rescue. How did you? When did you?
I want to so badly, but my parents won't let me. I am just curious.

Grace

I think it is great that you want to do this, however I can certainly see why your parents are less then thrilled.

Perhaps what you could do a lot of research, and put together a proposal for a small animal rescue... Find out just how much it would cost, look at possible sources of funding or donations, just what are your parents objections.

Running a rescue sounds like a lot of fun, but I can't help but think it must be awfully expensive. beyond equipment and supplies, which add up quick, just the medical care and treatment could put you and your family in the poor house unless you have a fundraising system in place. Just one pregnant pig in trouble can run up $1000 easily:eye-poppi

Is it possible to work with a current shelter or rescue and foster some pigs for them? Maybe your parents would agree to provide temporary accomidations, it sounds like a much more reasonable place to start.

I want you to know though that I really think it is a very admirable thing to want to do.:D

Guinea_Gal said:
I just wanted to know if anyone my age, highschool, has started a guinea pig rescue. How did you? When did you?
I want to so badly, but my parents won't let me. I am just curious.

Grace

That is my ultimate aim, but because you don't get a profit from running a rescue you have to save a lot of money first. A few thousand dollars (or pounds) just to set up all the normal cages and get plenty of pellets, veggies, toys, bedding etc. in. And then you've got the vets bills, which are inevitable when you recsue pigs.

I've asked a number of rescue owners, including Teresa, about how it all works out, and it is clear that it is real tough sometimes.

I had to make do with volunteering at a rescue and fostering piggies, but until I can get the funds, it just is not possible to open up a rescue.

Hey Guinea_Gal, Allysse on GL started a rescue in high school. She also posts here (under the name Allysse). You should send her an email, I'm sure she would have great advice for you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.