Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss Loosing hair what do I do?

Tands

Cavy Slave
Hi my Coco is loosing hair and from what I've read that is not normal, she'd lost a clump about half the size of my pinky a couple days ago and this morning I found three clumps of hair. She seems to be eating fine, I noticed when she's not eating she scratches but I not sure if its excessive scratching ( as I've only had her for 3 weeks). So I'm thinking it might be mites, do I just treat her with invermectin( think that's what it's called) can I treat her myself or does she need a vet? Can I even buy the treatment my self? Or could there be another reason for her hair loss? She has calcium showing in her pee but not sure if that's a factor... Sorry I'm kind of a paranoid new mom

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Does she have a cagemate? If she does, she's probably being barbered.

Tands

Cavy Slave
Yes I introduced them 5 days ago. Barbered... like the other one is pulling out Cocos hair? My other one(Roxy) is pretty laid back and is not the dominant one does that matter?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Barbering is pulling hair out/cutting it with their teeth. It's not usually a big deal. Are you seeing bald patches on Coco, or just finding the hair?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Hair loss can also be a sign of ovarian cysts, how old is she? Scratching can be a sign of mites. Can you post pictures of the hair loss?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Also if you suspect mites sometimes there is scabbing.

Tands

Cavy Slave
She's a silkie so she's got a lot of hair but I haven't noticed any bald spots. I'm not exactly sure on her age the pet store said 5 months but I don't think they really knew, as they said all I them were around 5 months. I'll check for any scabs

Attachments

image.jpg

Tands

Cavy Slave
I just went out and came back and in the 1/2 hr I was gone there was the same amount lying on the fleece again

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
That looks isle she is being barbered. One of my Americans barbers my coronets buttmullet off which actually saves me from having to do it myself and Ozzy seems to prefer his brother giving him a trim over me doing it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.