Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

FINALLY building a new cage for my piggies!

DADYO

Cavy Slave
Ok, my 2 sows Guinea and Winny (I know, terrifyingly stupid names, I didn't give them those :p) have been living in a way too small cage for them, so I'm finally building a new cage! :D

Since you CANNOT find nor coroplast nor cubes I'm building the cage out of wood, and putting plexiglass instead of coroplast, I won't remove the plexiglass to clean out the cage (as it's a bit too heavy) but there will be a little hatch that will open and I'll sweep out the dirty bedding.

It's 120x85 cm, the biggest I could fit in my room, and though it initially will have only 1 floor I'm pretty sure I'm going to add another one.

I just started building it, I'll post some photos when I'm done :D

DADYO

Cavy Slave
just realized I accidentally posted in the wrong forum :rolleyes:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm sure someone else will mention this, but the plexiglass really isn't a good choice for the sides of the cage. There is almost no ventilation that way except from the top of the cage. Have you considered making the sides from wire closet shelving, or maybe stretching chicken wire on the wood frames?

TheMadWheeker

Cavy Slave
DadyO where do you live maybe I can help you locate coroplast and cubes.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
By the way, just thought I'd add my two cents, often you can find coroplast at a sign store. You may have already checked there though. And this may be a stretch but you could look at Kinkos or some other place like that.

DADYO

Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
I'm sure someone else will mention this, but the plexiglass really isn't a good choice for the sides of the cage. There is almost no ventilation that way except from the top of the cage. Have you considered making the sides from wire closet shelving, or maybe stretching chicken wire on the wood frames?

No, the cage is made of wooden structure, and the sides are covered in like fencing, the plexiglass will only be 5 cms high on the sides

DADYO

Cavy Slave
New2Cavys said:
DadyO where do you live maybe I can help you locate coroplast and cubes.

I live in Siena, Italy, I already tried guineapigcages.com/find thing, didn't have anything nrar me :(

pennick

Cavy Slave
Just make sure that none of the wood is accessible to the piggies as far as urinating on it. You don't want any of the wood exposed to that.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
DADYO said:
No, the cage is made of wooden structure, and the sides are covered in like fencing, the plexiglass will only be 5 cms high on the sides
My apologies then. :) Sounds like you have everything under control with the ventilation. Since you won't be removing the plexiglass, you might want to see if you can find a ShopVac or something similar with a long hose to vacuum out the shavings at cleaning time. It might make things easier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.