Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello and Advice

Paparazzi_mama

Cavy Slave
Hi there! We just bought our first set of GPs as a family PETA couple days ago and we're already smitten of course! We got two males and my daughter named them Rascal and Harry. They are still on the small side but not babies. Anyway, I thought we read up on them enough but I'm already full of questions. We were sold a rabbit cage and told it would be big enough for our two little guys but I'm now seeing that's obviously incorrect! However with Christmas fast approaching and already shelling out money for what I now know was the wrong purchase, we can't afford to upgrade to these awesome cavy cages right away. I'm hoping they'll be okay for a month or two until we can afford to make a new cage as long as we're adamant about keeping it clean and exercising them?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Personally, I believe it would be fine if you had to. What's another month just to get past the holidays? I know the holidays can be expensive. This doesn't change my options about what cage sizes should be, but I don't think that it's horrible to wait a little longer when things are getting tight.

Yes, dominance being a problem is always prominent with growing male pigs, in particular. If your very concerned about this, or want to play it safe, (because separate cages can be more costly, upkeep, and less enjoyable for lone pigs), then you could see if your budget fits a very cheap cage. You can buy a shower mat for $10. Then, you could consider even using alternatives to grids to save your budget. Try using tubs, bins, or something of that nature, and put it in the corner. But you must make sure the tubs meet completely, and cannot be pushed! In that sense, you could have a temporary makeshift cage for $10 or cheaper.

It's all up to you. Whether you want to not risk dominance issues and go ahead and make your pigs more comfortable, or risk it because your on a tight budget. But as for your pigs waiting just a month or so, I don't think that would be awful as long as your planning on making a bigger cage soon. That's my two cents.

CavyQuestions

Cavy Slave
It's fine!:eek:
A month or two isn't as severe as a year and a half, and if you believe they aren't getting enough exercise, let them have a little bit more of floor time.
And as for the dominance issues, that's a bit tricky. My two boars are currently experiencing a bit of a rough patch you might say, and I've separated them.
True, it's gotten worse, but i have to wait until after Christmas as well, so they'll just have to wait a few more weeks to get a new C&C cage big enough for their dominance issues whether they like it or not;).
You know your piggies, so you'll know when they are tired of each other of of the cage.
Merry Christmas!:rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.