Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Zip Ties Wire tie help with sharp ends

Unangrybird

Cavy Slave
Hi. Building my first c and c cage. It's all done but the coroplast. I used the round connectors that came with the cubes but also decided to add wire ties for extra support. I may have got a bit carried away with them when making the folding cage top but that's another story! My question is about the wire ties though. I personally have three old scars on my left wrist from getting cut with the ends of these things about a year ago. I repaired a plastic lid from one of those drawer units and kept cutting my wrist till I realized what was happening. I don't want my toddler grandkids to get cut nor my guinea pig who is a baby. I plan to move her to the new house tonight as she is in a starter cage now. So I guess I was wondering what you all do. If you cut the ties really close they tend to open up and if you leave a fraction of an inch they can cut. I was debating about using electrical tape or even duct tape to cover each wire tie. I know most of you must think this is a bit too cautious but my scars are a reminder of how sharp these can be. Thanks :)

Wire ties, or cable ties? If their wire, you can get players and bend them upwards. If you mean cable ties, you can actually use clear duck tape. :) you could probably still put tape on them if they're wire, too. :)

I have twin toddlers. They are constantly leaning or trying to climb on my cage. What I did was put the cable ties right next to the connectors on all the connections. So every single place that the grids meet at a connetor I have a cable tie. I cut them off leaving about 1/4" tail on each one. Then I pushed all the cut ends into the cage. The coroplast blocks all the bottom connectors so no one can get scratched on those. The ones on the top you have to be more aware of those since there is no coroplast up there. If you do it snug enough they don't really spin too much and since they are pushed all the way up to the connectors they sort of offer you a little protection. I still get scratched once in a while but not too often. My toddlers have not gotten scratched yet once.

I use plastic zip ties. I've got one too many scars from wire ties, and just flat refuse to use them again.

oops, I didn't realize you meant actual wire ties. I'm not familiar with those at all, I use cable ties (AKA zip ties).

Cable ties! I thought about using wire clips today but those would be too small. They make clear duct tape? I have seen the colors and prints but not clear.

Good to know but after my cuts I'm just nervous!

I know what you mean :)

I think I'll go with electrical tape because it is easier to mold around things where duct tape would just be folded over sort of. I should be posting a photo tomorrow night of the finished house. Thank you all for the super fast replies!

Welcome to the forum!

I need to clarify that I am using cable ties! I have always called them wire ties since we've mostly used them for electrical wires. Back in the stone age, we didn't have cables other than for things on pulleys :)

Thanks for the welcome!

I need to clarify that I am using cable ties! I have always called them wire ties since we've mostly used them for electrical wires. Back in the stone age, we didn't have cables other than for things on pulleys :)
Oh!! That clarifies a lot!
You can always file them down. I know how painful it can be to scratch yourself on them, and we certainly wouldn't want your grandkids or guinea pig getting hurt.

I cut them with toe nail clippers. They can get pretty close to the cable tie heads and won't leave any sharp edges.

I cut them with toe nail clippers. They can get pretty close to the cable tie heads and won't leave any sharp edges.

This is what I do as well. Works perfectly!

My dad helped me cut them off with wire clippers after my mom and I left rough edges.
Toenail clippers-great idea!! Will keep that in mind the next time I use them! Thanks Lissie and Melissa123!

Well I have been going crazy trying to find electrical tape in the house with no luck. I know we have oodles out in the shop but it's dark out and cold and i'm exhausted! I think I might try using the toe nail clippers before I call it a night. I have had a few ties come off that I had cut close with a scissors but maybe they were just faulty. I think I used well over 200 cable ties on this project. The folding lid required a lot. Had I known about the closet shelves I would have used those but I wound up using the grids and copied what the cage store did for folding tops. I promise to post photos tomorrow night! The top came out great!

Wow!! How big is this!?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.