Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training How to train guineapigs and where to get the materials?

• Thread starter tiffanyspiggies
  • Start date

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!

So I've been wanting to train my guinea pigs to do their business on a litter box of some sort, but first of all, I don't know where to get the litter box! I live in Australia and I was wondering where I could get a small corner toilet that is easy to clean. I am also going on a holiday to Hong Kong soon so I was wondering if they had any cheaper options for this?

Another question I had was what sort of litter should I use in the litter box? I read somewhere that carefresh isn't as good as other wood type pellets because the piggies track the carefresh all over the fleece, but I wouldn't know because I haven't really trained them yet! :p
Anyway basically what I'm asking is what the best material to use is in regards to absorbency and cleanliness.

Thanks so much in advance!
-Tiffanyspiggies :)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
Hello!
Some people can, but typically most can't litter train them.
They typically do their business in one place, but not usually the place you give them.

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
Hello!
Some people can, but typically most can't litter train them.
They typically do their business in one place, but not usually the place you give them.

Oh that's a shame :(
Their cage gets so messy because they poop everywhere!! But thank you for your help :)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
What type of set-up do you have in the cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can't be litter trained. But you can hope that yours are the kind who like to do their business in the same place each time, and then put a litter pan there. That'll catch most of the output. That's called training you​, not the pigs.

If yours are the kind that poop and pee everywhere, you're just out of luck.

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sometimes you can encourage them to poo in one area by putting their food (not just veggies) in the area you want them to poo in. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You can also try and work around them. If you see particular area they poo in more often, put a litter box or potty pad there. :)

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can't be litter trained. But you can hope that yours are the kind who like to do their business in the same place each time, and then put a litter pan there. That'll catch most of the output. That's called training you​, not the pigs.

If yours are the kind that poop and pee everywhere, you're just out of luck.

Hahaha I see - I guess I'll put some litter boxes in the corners then lol

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
Sometimes you can encourage them to poo in one area by putting their food (not just veggies) in the area you want them to poo in. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You can also try and work around them. If you see particular area they poo in more often, put a litter box or potty pad there. :)

Thank you for the advice! It's weird but I have noticed that they like to do their business where they eat. Why is that?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Slave
I'm not completely sure, but I think that a lot of pigs are like that. :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
It can be difficult to train guinea pigs to use a litter box. Some get it some don't but I've heard the best way is to place the box where they usually go the most. Also while your potty training when they poo place it in the box if they don't use it. So that way they smell them selves in the box. Positive reinforcment is also a good idea. When they do use it give them a treat and make sure you only give that treat when they use it. Like I said some guinea pigs get it some don't so even if you try you may fail. Also starting at a young age helps.

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
It can be difficult to train guinea pigs to use a litter box. Some get it some don't but I've heard the best way is to place the box where they usually go the most. Also while your potty training when they poo place it in the box if they don't use it. So that way they smell them selves in the box. Positive reinforcment is also a good idea. When they do use it give them a treat and make sure you only give that treat when they use it. Like I said some guinea pigs get it some don't so even if you try you may fail. Also starting at a young age helps.

Thanks for the tip lol
But when I clean the litter box out should I leave some of their poop in there just so they go there again?

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Try putting a canopy over where you want them to go. They seem to really prefer to hang out in covered areas. So putting a fleece forest or fleece canopy etc. Over the area seems to encourage them. If you do a forest, keep the fringe short so it doesn't touch the ground. A couple inches higher than the ground works well. My pig does about 90% of her business in her patio. I have a lid on my cage so it's about 7" from the floor of the patio to the lid. I set the patio up with fleece and some potty pads and she loves it up there. Maybe if you do something similar and tie on a fleece roof over the potty that will help.

Another way to do it would be to set up a designated kitchen area since they also make when they eat.

As for litter boxes, any large plastic tray you can cut a hole or door in will work. You can build one out of coroplast or you can use a plastic storage container like a rubber maid storage box ( if you have those in your country ).

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Slave
You can't fully train a pig to do his or hers business in a litterbox, at best, you can create a kitchen area where they should do most of their business (Pigs tend to poop where they eat).
If you're still looking for a corner litterbox, I've seen both City Farmers and Pet City carry them. I think the best traditional/disposable bedding available is wood stove pellets, they are excellent at absorbing smells and are virtually dust free.

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
Try putting a canopy over where you want them to go. They seem to really prefer to hang out in covered areas. So putting a fleece forest or fleece canopy etc. Over the area seems to encourage them. If you do a forest, keep the fringe short so it doesn't touch the ground. A couple inches higher than the ground works well. My pig does about 90% of her business in her patio. I have a lid on my cage so it's about 7" from the floor of the patio to the lid. I set the patio up with fleece and some potty pads and she loves it up there. Maybe if you do something similar and tie on a fleece roof over the potty that will help.

Another way to do it would be to set up a designated kitchen area since they also make when they eat.

As for litter boxes, any large plastic tray you can cut a hole or door in will work. You can build one out of coroplast or you can use a plastic storage container like a rubber maid storage box ( if you have those in your country ).

Thank you so much for the great tips! I'll be sure to make a fleece forest and the plastic containers sound good lol

tiffanyspiggies

Cavy Slave
You can't fully train a pig to do his or hers business in a litterbox, at best, you can create a kitchen area where they should do most of their business (Pigs tend to poop where they eat).
If you're still looking for a corner litterbox, I've seen both City Farmers and Pet City carry them. I think the best traditional/disposable bedding available is wood stove pellets, they are excellent at absorbing smells and are virtually dust free.

Thanks MochaAndMoo! I've been to City Farmers but I've never seen them before! Are they in the guinea pig section? Maybe I've just been going to a smaller one where they don't have as much stuff but I'll be sure to check out Pet City. Thanks again :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.