Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Any disadvantages to lowering 6" sides down to 2 or 3"?

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I see that the standard coroplast base for a c&c has 6" sides. Is this mostly because of keeping bedding in? If one is using fleece as 'bedding' I was wondering if it would be fine to just have lower sides to allow better viewing (for piggies and humans).
I noticed many of the upper (patio) levels have lower coroplast sides. That got me thinking that this may be a good idea for the main level as well.
Any thoughts?

...just to clarify... I'm referring to the base that would be sitting inside the c&c grids, so the height of the cage would still be as high as the grid.

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
The front of my cage is maybe 2 inches high. I have no problem except my hay is in the front so sometimes hay will get out even though I have coroplast blocking. I do have the other sides of my cages higher because I can't reach back there to clean them in case hay or bathroom falls back there.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The higher the sides, the less poop gets flung out on the floor. That's the main difference between high and low sides if you're using fleece.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
Some piggies like to chew on the coro when it's easy for them to reach it. I know my piggy prefers to chew her 3" patio over the 6" base. But I have seen lots of people do 3" sides.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I like lower side so I can see my piggies better but they do throw some more grit on the floor. Be it poo, food or hay.

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
Ah..ok.
I am going to make my own fleece bedspreads that will wrap over the coroplast sides. Hopefully that will discourage chewing?

I didn't know that piggie poo could fling over the lower sides. That's good to know. I wonder if 4 or 5" would be sufficient at keeping poos in...

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've made cages with different heights for the sides and I prefer 7" to 7.5".

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Pros: 1. Better viewing for humans and piggies.

Cons: 1. Even with fleece poop can get flung out. 2. Hay can fall out easier. 3. Some piggies may want to chew the coroplast.

You could always have a lower side on the front and the back wall and sides can be 6". Or you could make the back wall and sides tall and front short and you could always place plexi-glass on the front so you can have 6" sides all around and still have a good view.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
My front coro is just 2 inches high with a plexiglass front and poop always gets stuck between the coro and the plexi. They don't even poop in the front corners but it just gets tossed about in their running around I guess.

Since I have a solid plexiglass wall in front of my coro I don't worry about their little feet getting stuck or anything but that "might" be an issue if your pigs stand up against your grids to beg for food like mine do.

So you can certainly do it, just be prepared for more clean up on your floor.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
My front coro is just 2 inches high with a plexiglass front and poop always gets stuck between the coro and the plexi. They don't even poop in the front corners but it just gets tossed about in their running around I guess.

Since I have a solid plexiglass wall in front of my coro I don't worry about their little feet getting stuck or anything but that "might" be an issue if your pigs stand up against your grids to beg for food like mine do.(broken link removed)

Honestly, this would be an issue no matter how high the walls were. My boys can all stand up and reach the top of the cage just about. You'd have to have walls that were about to the top of the cage to make it where they couldn't reach it. I do not have walls on one cage. I use a shower curtain. I do not have issues with poops going everywhere. My girls have 3 inch walls, and again I have no problems.

So you can certainly do it, just be prepared for more clean up on your floor.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.