Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C I have too small of a cage and im buying a new one but i want to buy the right amount

GreyWish

Cavy Champion
Cavy Gazer
My group of 9 going on 11-14 sows lives in a 2x6 which i know is too small im buying a new cage but i dont want to buy one and need it bigger
i want it to look nice not like i have to many guinea pigs and im running a guinea pig cage conveyor belt .... here are some cage pictures the first one is the girls cage (the L) the next one is charcoals cage a single pig 2x3 the next one is taffies cage a single pig 2x3 and the last 3x3 is for king and pepper (sherbet and redpanda are sick they are in different cages ) so with the girls on the top what kind of cage can i do with that i know i might have to have a second level give me any designs you have dont worry about money please show me some really good designs for a size of lets say 15 sows

Are there walls on the top cage? Looks like flat pieces of fleece. Please don't let your pigs use the top cage if there are no walls.

For 15 sows (all living together?), I would do a cage that's either 2x16, 3x11 or 4x8.

there are walls where they are needed i know no one is going to support me on my decision to not put walls in some places , so i'm not going to start that fight i have a reason for doing it and they don't fall out that's all i'm going to say ,its rare when they fall out but when they do i take them straight to the vet or after hours vet to get them an x-ray and i have never had something happen ...they always turn up unharmed but i still take them because i would be so mad at myself if something happned and i didnt see it or do something but i have MY good reasons for not putting up walls and have never had something happen because of the no walls

That's quite a high fall. Why would you risk it? Especially the part with yellow green fleece that's draping off the cage. They could just walk off that thinking it was a ramp.

Edit to add:

@GreyWish What are your good reasons?

If it's for ease of cleaning, you could add a door like this.
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

If it's for the look, you can add plexiglass like this.
I have too small of a cage and im buying a new one but i want to buy the right amount

I have too small of a cage and im buying a new one but i want to buy the right amount

Last edited:
they have actully never fallen off that part its always in the play area and in that picture it was folded down for some reason unknown.... i always have that part folded so they wont just walk off the side when they fall its always a fight and 2 fall off the cage side that's why i'm getting coro with the new cage they don't try to get over it in the past i had red panda living in a 2x2 of coro she never tried to get out i don't think any of my past cages were fully closed they all were open some where cause i have a bad spine- neck problem and im doing therapy and stuff to get it fixed and its really hard for my to reach over those grids on the top level so i only put them on where iv'e seen falls happen the most and it works in the picture red panda was in the very top blue coro (that's a very old cage and clearly not the design i'm using now just saying ...)

I think a 3x9 would work best.

all my reasons are just because of my back... and not being able to reach them i am in reallllllllyyyy bad pain so reaching and streatching more than i HAVE TO really hurts me and its even worse when they try to run away im going to get grids but only have it open in needed places like this ... 000_00__0 lets just pretend that is the cages 0s are grids and that first blank could be the kitchen where i need to give them food and hay and the next blanks are in their bedroom where i need to just reach them ... i dont take off grids where i dont need them off but i will say im short on girds

Cage with just coro wall is fine in my opinion. Cage without wall is not. I hope your new cage will be safer for your pigs.
Bad back is not an excuse to keep them in an unsafe cage. The cage doors I showed you should work fine in that case since they complete fold down.

im going to use coro this time i just wanted to see some cool designs that i could possibley do

I'd like to know how you came to acquire so many guinea pigs when you clearly don't have the cage space for them. I definitely wouldn't be acquiring more than 5-6 guinea pigs because I know that is the only cage space I can have.

I have a 2x5 that we have raised up two grids high because my hubby is 6'4" and it was too much to bend over so far. The issue is I'm 5'1" so I couldn't reach! I made the door that folds down and it's perfect. I can reach, and he doesn't have back pain.

I just couldn't risk it. I know you say it hasn't happened yet, but someday it might and you might lose a poor pig.

@MrWhistles here is what they posted on another thread.....

Where do you live i take in guinea pigs that need a new home but i dont adopt them out i just keep them right now i have 3 boys in a 3x3 they are doing fine and trust me they are not exactly bonded i have another male that i really want a partner for but he only likes his sister and his sister only likes him but im ordering a new cage in a week or so, so if you live near me let me know so i can add another cage to the cart i would love to take him or watch him until out can figure out your cage situation i have 14 guineas right now but i have alot of room and money so its not to hard to take care of them all

The thread - https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...hat-did-I-get-myself-into?p=805942&highlight=

im going to use coro this time i just wanted to see some cool designs that i could possibley do

Since you have bad back, 3 or 4 grid deep cages will probably not work for you.

If I have a lot of space, I would make this cage. The cage is all connected and the pigs have doorways to get to the other cage.
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

Still, if you don't have the space(which it seems she does not) why would you acquire more guinea pigs? I'm quite certain there are rescues that can take in these pigs she is taking in.

its not a matter of money its time to order ... and when i know im getting more i put it off to see how big a cage i need, i like to help them and my friend gave my number to some people and i have their guinea pigs.... not happy about that but i cant tell a piggie no to a chance of a better life
i would never drop any of my pigs to anyone and no, there are no rescues that take these pigs that i get ... i adopt them out before i get attached to them i have gotten alot of pigs that i have given to people and then sent the money to my favorite shelter, i keep the pigs that i think deserve a better life and need medical care
all i wanted was cage deigns for my girls cause i try to make their cage cute >_> i shouldnt be told how many guinea pigs i can and cant have there is no law on it
(im a boy what would make you think im a girl -_- cause i have guinea pigs? i have a girl friend too so am i a lesbi now? >_> im a guy )

and they are not 3-4 grids deep the girls are ontop of of 2 2x3s..... i thought that was clear in the picture...... 

IDK, maybe the purple picture. Not many men would put a purply picture as their avatar. But, whatever.
Fact remains, you have a TOO SMALL cage for the number of pigs you have. I find it neglectful that you haven't bothered to expand your cage for these pigs. And judging by your other thread, you NEED to expand your cage. You also don't seem to have a whole lot of time for all these pigs, you found one of your pigs lost HALF her weight. Pigs don't just go on a diet, that sounds like she either got sick(and you didn't catch it) or she was being bullied away from food.

It really bothers me that you're risking these pigs safety AND health by putting them in a too small cage that doesn't have walls in some areas. I think you're in over your head a bit with all these pigs.

the purple picture is a picture of one of the guinea pigs >_> if you look close there is one right in the middle and that guinea pig happens to be a female ,she got bullied away from the food AND I POSTED THIS SO I COULD GET THE CAGE I JUST WANTED IT TO LOOK NICE IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK i dont want to buy something then need something else 10 minutes after i already got the other thing >_>

my question is about a cool cage design i could do and about what size i could get NOT telling me how many guinea pigs i 'should have', how purple is a 'girl' color i thought i did a damn good job editing that picture of taffie, how i 'dont' have time for them when REALLY you have NO IDEA what is going on here the truth is i do have time for them but atm im more concerned about other sick pigs i have if you MUST know 3 boars got into a fight when i wasnt in the room to stop it and they need attention my other baby got badly barbered by another guinea pig and is growing her hair back another sow got into a fight and cut her eye and Sugar didnt like to be played with so i left her alone she has her friends SUGAR WAS SKINNY WHEN I RESCUED HER AND I HAVE TAKEN CARE OF LOTS OF SKINNY PIGS BUT I WANTED TO KNOW IF I WAS DOING IT RIGHT CAUSE I HAD NOT DONE IT IN A WHILE BUT ALL THE JERKS ON THIS SITE RACE IN TO SAY SOMETHING MEAN TO GREYWISH WHEN HE POSTS SOMETHING
this post was about a cage not telling me purple is a girl color

If you want cage ideas then go to the gallery and look at the different sections (multilevel, open, closed, etc) and just scroll through there. There are TONS of different ideas shown from other members. I'm sure you can get some great ideas from the pics. Be sure to look at the home page for cage measurements necessary for certain numbers of pigs so you will know you have a large enough cage(s).

When you are posting things in a public forum and anyone sees anything of question (such as no walls) then you have to be prepared to take criticism no matter the subject of your post. It's just the nature of these forums and especially when people are so passionate about the well being of animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.