Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick her breathing

Pat Miller

Cavy Slave
My baby guinea pig breaths fast but not panting she also bobs her head alil...she eats and drinks just fine . She cleans her self and streaches she is a lil on the thin side.... But her breathing is kinda worrying me
I just got her yesterday from the pet shop...

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
I would take her to a vet to have her checked out. She may eat and drink fine, but could still have a respiratory infection. Unfortunately, it's very easy for illness to spread in a pet shop. Do you have other guinea pigs? If so, keep her separated to ensure you don't get others sick.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
All guinea pigs breathe fast, and scared baby guinea pigs breathe even faster. But pet store pigs are often ill, so you need to watch her carefully. You need a kitchen scale (up to 5 pounds, weighs in both grams and ounces, about $15), and weigh her daily. Record the weights. She should be steadily gaining.

If the head bobbing gets worse or her head looks tilted, if she's not gaining and not eating like a pig, or if she has runny eyes and/or nose, is sneezing, or sitting puffed up in a hidey, then take her to the vet. Don't bother with a dog-and-cat vet -- they know very little about guinea pigs, and you'll likely just be wasting your money for substandard care. You need a vet that treats exotic pets -- you can click the Vets tab at the top of the page and see if there's one near you.

Pat Miller

Cavy Slave
We thought she could be like this were she is not feed wheel ..she had 2 other cagemates befor i got her and all out weighed her.. she does stay in the correner of the cage..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.