Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips What kind of wood pellets?

Shellyinsc

Cavy Slave
I have a bunny. Right now I'm using wood shavings in the litter box. But he's tracking it everywhere.

What kind of specific wood pellets should i get and which ones should i avoid?

And what's your routine with cleaning the litter box when using wood pellets?

Don't you already have another thread on this?

I asked this question in the rabbits forum but they asked me to post here because they didn't know what kind to tell me to get.

You need kiln-dried pellets, whether for stove fuel or horse bedding. They should not have any strong pine odor. I use Terramigo, available at feed stores.

I just dump the used pellets in a garbage can and wheel it out to the curb. I do put a single layer of fleece, no padding underneath, over the pellets because it catches the poop and the pellets last longer. I shake the fleece out every day or so, and change it every 4-5 days.

The fleece doesn't smell of pee that way? You put the fleece over top of the pellets?

They don't step on the poop and get it everywhere?

Yes, I put the fleece over the pellets. The pellets act as the absorbent layer, and the fleece doesn't smell. And it's softer on their feet than the hard pellets. But pigs don't step in poop and get it all over unless they're having intestinal problems -- the poop is like beans, and it's fairly hard.

Yes, poop does get on the fleece, but you can easily shake it off outside. If you don't put the fleece over, the poop falls down in between the pellets, and the cage looks pretty awful after a few days. But it doesn't smell either way.

Ok thanks. Any other brands that you know of that are ok?

How do you keep the fleece from moving? I use a corner litter box and a Tupper ware bowl

Bricks along the edge. And there are no other suitable brands in my area.

Most stores will poke a hole in a sack and let you smell the pellets to see if they've got a strong pine odor. I'd definitely do that, as some are way too strong for the pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.