Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C what can i do with 38 grids?

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
So, congrats to me, and a HUGEEEE Thank you to @PiggieGuinea for showing me that craigslist cuts a huge hole in the payment of grids! I found 38 grids for 25$ and picking them up in the morning, and ill be getting a 4' x 8' (4 foot by 8 foot ) sheet of white coroplast.. as this will be my very first time making a C&C, are there any tips I could be given? anything is appreciated,

but, I was going to do just a 2x6 with a 1x2 loft, but... I changed my mind, im just going to do a 2x6 base.. my boys don't jump that much, any idea on walls? and another question, well uhm.. how to describe it, how can I make sure my coroplast, after scoring and.. folding and such, still fits nicely into the base? If that makes any sense I mean ^^''
But anyway, ill be getting 38 grids, I think, (pretty sure) I only need 16 for the perimeter of the cage, and ill have a base for the bottom,
but wouldn't I have 22 left over? what can I do with them? Im a visual, but if you explain, ill try my best ^^ Thank you to anyone who writes back

LazyPiggies

Cavy Slave
Well you could always make a play pen for them with the spare grids for when they have floor time :)

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I'll prolly do that ^^

millsma

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This is what I did with a couple extra grids. I bent them, and made hay racks by zip-tying them to the perimeter. This is especially nice because very little hay gets wasted, and it won't get stuck to my fleece.
what can i do with 38 grids?

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Update : picked up the grids today! Instead of the 38, I got 48 lol, and she was so nice ^^ I paid 25$ for it, which I thought was a good price, my mom took me to Loveland to get them, we stopped in front of her house, and handed me the 25$, and she was like " ok, no going in the house, and go get them for your rats"
me : ..Pigs.Guinea Pigs." then I just looked at her like " ...youre sending me to a strangers house to fetch them? alone?" then I remembered we had the baby Maiya with us, so I went, and the woman named Alice, was actually waiting for me, she was sitting just inside, and I walked up and smiled, then she said " Youre Skae?" Me : ^^ Alice I imagine?" ^^ she had her hand all wrapped and I asked her " Mind I ask what happened to your hand?" She just said "...smashed it on closing the dishwasher, those evil things..." c: But yeah.. I feel I did something awesome, im one step closer to getting my cage! :D Next step, Coroplast!

EDIT TO ADD : This is what it looked like when I got them, and then what I did (Felt so pro for thinking of doing it lol)
these are the white ones, there were 29 of these in here :D Came in a pretty tortoise bin (I love that color <3)

and uhm, I guess the attachment is the black ones lol, I went from 29 to 48 so you do the math :D (19 I think..)
and this is what I did after wards ( should be the bottom picture lol)what can i do with 38 grids? or.. right there.. :D But I took 5 grids, and made a cube, and stuffed the other grids in there, I thought it was a genius idea till I get the cage built :)

Attachments

IMAG0728.jpg
Last edited:

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
What section did you look in on craigslist?

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
What section did you look in on craigslist?
\

I looked in Household, I also just typed in " Wire storage" but it mainly gave me the storage ares. o.o c:

cheshirekris

Cavy Slave
\

I looked in Household, I also just typed in " Wire storage" but it mainly gave me the storage ares. o.o c:

OK thanks I'll have to look.

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
Yes to the play pen! I made a collapsible pen with a bunch of spare grids.
Just measure out how large you want the pen to be, and lay out your grids accordingly. Arrange them in a straight line with a SMALL amount of space between each grid. Zip tie the top, middle, and bottom squares of the grid so you have one long line of grids. When you zip tie, don't zip tie them as tight as you can (hence the space between the grid). This allows them to "hinge" so you can bend it into different shapes and fold it up. To collapse it, just fold it up (I'm sure you get what I am trying to describe)

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Yes to the play pen! I made a collapsible pen with a bunch of spare grids.
Just measure out how large you want the pen to be, and lay out your grids accordingly. Arrange them in a straight line with a SMALL amount of space between each grid. Zip tie the top, middle, and bottom squares of the grid so you have one long line of grids. When you zip tie, don't zip tie them as tight as you can (hence the space between the grid). This allows them to "hinge" so you can bend it into different shapes and fold it up. To collapse it, just fold it up (I'm sure you get what I am trying to describe)

oooooh another thing I needa go get.. ZIP TIES.. thank you for telling me not to tighten all the way lol that's something I would have done!

ThePigSlave

Cavy Slave
oooooh another thing I needa go get.. ZIP TIES.. thank you for telling me not to tighten all the way lol that's something I would have done!

I feel your pain. Wasted my last 50 or so zip ties doing the same thing. Had to wait a whole week to go out and get more before I could finish the project :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.