Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Neutering - After Operation Care

Piggies010

Cavy Slave
Hey all long story short, my male guinea pig is booked in to be neutered this coming Thursday. Any advice on what to do when he comes home?

Keep your cage very clean , and restrict his movement. Make sure he doesn't bite at the area, and generally keep an eye on the area. You will also need to monitor his food intake and his excretions. It is also a good idea to have some critical care and syringes (without the needles) on hand if you need to start force feeding him, if you cant get that then you will need to have things on hand to make a pellet mash. Your vet should give you some medications to take home with you to manage the swelling and pain which will occur post-op.

I would also insist on an antibiotic from the vet to help prevent an abscess forming, if you get one you will need a pro-biotic as well.

I assume you have done all the considerations you need to do before you decide on something like this, and you have chosen a vet with previous experience in neutering guinea pig. If you have any concerns it would probably be good to call your vet and get them to answer any questions you have, in fact you should ask them just this question before he goes in for the operation.

Last edited:
Keep your cage very clean , and restrict his movement. Make sure he doesn't bite at the area, and generally keep an eye on the area. You will also need to monitor his food intake and his excretions. It is also a good idea to have some critical care and syringes (without the needles) on hand if you need to start force feeding him, if you cant get that then you will need to have things on hand to make a pellet mash. Your vet should give you some medications to take home with you to manage the swelling and pain which will occur post-op.

I would also insist on an antibiotic from the vet to help prevent an abscess forming, if you get one you will need a pro-biotic as well.

I assume you have done all the considerations you need to do before you decide on something like this, and you have chosen a vet with previous experience in neutering guinea pig. If you have any concerns it would probably be good to call your vet and get them to answer any questions you have, in fact you should ask them just this question before he goes in for the operation.

Thanks heaps for your advice, and don't worry I trust my vet 100% Tomorrow is the big day, hope all goes well!

I'd ask for chlorhexidine and a sterile plastic flushing bottle to gently squirt the area with a diluted solution of the chlorhexidine a couple of time a day to keep the incision very clean. I dilute it with water to a light blue color. I'd also keep him on fleece and keep the area very clean by changing out the fleece 2 to 3 times a day. I'd make sure he gets an antibiotic and give a probiotic half hour to an hour before or after the meds. Be careful lifting him when you check the incision so you don't pull at or disturb the incision. Make sure he's eating and drinking. Contact the vet if you see any pus, redness, swelling or warmth of the area or if something doesn't seem right. Good luck.

I'd make sure he gets an antibiotic and give a probiotic half hour to an hour before or after the meds.

From what I've read Australia, just like European countries usually won't give antibiotics as a preventive method to animals or humans anymore because of the huge & constantly increasing issue with multi-resistant bacteria.

From what I've read Australia, just like European countries usually won't give antibiotics as a preventive method to animals or humans anymore because of the huge & constantly increasing issue with multi-resistant bacteria.

That's a shame. My vet won't prescribe Bactrim because she said there's a resistance to it in a lot of animals. My male was neutered without an antibiotic and he developed an abscess about 3 weeks after surgery. It looked good up to that point.

That's a shame. My vet won't prescribe Bactrim because she said there's a resistance to it in a lot of animals. My male was neutered without an antibiotic and he developed an abscess about 3 weeks after surgery. It looked good up to that point.

On one hand I think it's good if you look at the big picture, working against the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria & help many animals & humans in the future, or give antibiotics just in case to an otherwise healthy animal. Trying to minimize the use of antibiotics unnecessarily is quite the same logic as adopting instead of buying pigs in pet stores, helping many animals vs just one & increase the problem.

But I also asked (demanded) an antibiotic when my sow was spayed & they wouldn't prescribe it unless there was an underlying issue, but luckily everything went well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.