Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers What kind of lid for larger cages??

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
Have my herd of four in a 3x5 right now and am looking for new lid ideas. We currently have a grid lid on it that opens 1x5. It's a pain to clean out with a small opening. The grids are connected with zip ties and is really heavy (PVC holding it up) so I'm looking for an easier lid option that I can not only open easier but also clean easier and maybe isn't so heavy?? A lid is a MUST with three cats.

Would love to hear how other's do their lids on a 3x3 as well. Have a 1x3 opening and though it's way easier to clean, it's still a hassle when my back is not cooperating.

Oh and yes, we use fleece liners.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Closet shelving works great.

Beth Pearson

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, how would I make a lid for such a large cage with them? Would they be as heavy? If so, how do I go about reinforcing it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't need to reinforce the closet shelving -- it will hold many pounds.

You should be able to get two pieces of shelving that will cover it. It'll take the wide stuff, of course, but you can put one piece lengthwise down the back of the cage, then hinge the front piece with carabiner clips or simple metal key rings. You can fold the front lid back when you're just feeding or scooping poop, but put it all up against the back when you're cleaning the cage.

If you buy some, take the measurements with you to the home improvement store -- they'll cut it for you with bolt cutters.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The deepest shelve I've seen is 20". It's not deep enough for a 3 wide cage if you want to make a 2 side lid that flips up in front.

What you could do is probably get 3 shelves and fix the one in the back to the cage, then overlap the front two and hinge to the back one. It would be pretty heavy though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.