Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece in the "kitchen" area

KLSGPC

Cavy Slave
I saw a poster mentioned using fleece throughout their entire cage setup, no bedding/litter in the "kitchen" area. I'm wondering if anybody else does this and how it works in the "kitchen" area of their cage? I can't consider it a true kitchen since half the time or more our girls get their veggies and bolt out of there then wander back for hay and pellets.

Alexis Marie

Cavy Slave
I have I nice large Ceramic plate I put the pigs veggies on and they mostly tend to stay on the plate. The hay regardless of what I do gets everywhere but it isn't that big of a deal. I put a clay pot saucer under the water bottle to absorb any water droplets from soaking the fleece. Frankly, there isn't much of a difference of how things are taken care of on the fleece than on bedding. Just pick up the left over veggie bits or shake out the blankets outside to get some of the stuff off before washing. My pigs consider the whole pen their kitchen .. And potty, and bedroom :p

Magewrite

Cavy Slave
I don't have a kitchen area, so I just sweep everything - poops, old veggies, hay, ect.- out in the mornings. I have a fully fleeced cage, and it seems to work pretty well.

filchikmcr

Cavy Slave
I have a fleece in my whole cage too. My girls poop everywhere, not just where they eat so I didn't see the point in making a "kitchen" area. I put their veggies on a plastic plate, and they tend not to really move the veggies anywhere. I just sweep their poos every day, and their hay doesn't really get everywhere, just where their hay rack is really.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a fully fleece cage, I love it.
Poop sweeping is easy to do and I get it done quickly even though I have a 3x8 sized cage.....

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
Sweeping with a broom n dust pan or electric vaccuum?

JennasPigs

Cavy Slave
I have one litter box per pig in my cage. Since there's hay, pellets, and veggies go in there the mess doesn't get on the fleece. I hate the way hay looks on fleece when you can't sweep it up. Both of my pigs are nearly completely potty trained. If I had only fleece in the kitchen area it would be a mess.

Lasinalia

Cavy Slave
What is the best container for a litter box?

KLSGPC

Cavy Slave
Thanks all your your feedback. I think I'll make a few more fleece flippers for the cage and do away with the CareFresh. Seems every few bags one is too dusty and gets Licorice, and me, sneezing. Pretty sure the other girls will like the extra fleece.

boofp

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Mine arent no where near litter box trained so I have fleece everywhere, I would rather wash more often than spend all that money on bedding to just throw away.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.