Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Help! What do i do??!?

menzlu17

Cavy Slave
2 days ago I bought a VERY fat female G.P. Just as we completed the transaction the people "remembered" to mention she was pregnant! I have NO idea what stage she is at, what I need to feed her, and basically everything else!

- she is living with a cagemate (elderly female G.P) who has never seen babies before
- she is living outside
- she is eating; standard G.P food, carrot, cucumber, little bit of oats and broccoli

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
2 days ago I bought a VERY fat female G.P. Just as we completed the transaction the people "remembered" to mention she was pregnant! I have NO idea what stage she is at, what I need to feed her, and basically everything else!

- she is living with a cagemate (elderly female G.P) who has never seen babies before
- she is living outside
- she is eating; standard G.P food, carrot, cucumber, little bit of oats and broccoli

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Please move her inside, pregnancy is stressful enough without being exposed to the harsh elements outside (Especially as it's winter).
She should be fine going through with the pregnancy with another female present.
Her diet should be higher in Vitamin C and Calcium through the pregnancy-nursing period. I would supplement her with alfalfa (Known as Lucernce chaff or hay in Australia) for calcium, and green bell pepper (Or preferably, a supplement/tablet) for Vitamin C.

Carrot, cucumber, broccoli and oats do not make a sutible diet for a cavy. None of them are staples and none of them should be fed daily. Also, get rid of the oats, they are high in carbohydrates and completely unnecessary. Nutrition chart: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List

And lastly (And most importantly), make sure you have an experienced exotics vet lined up in-case there are any complications.
Hoping the pregnancy goes smoothly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.