Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Totally HEART BROKEN - lost my Winnie girl yesterday

deidre.j

Cavy Slave
In my previous post i complained about her increased apetite and constant nagging to eat. Well little did I know she was pregnant. Every morning she wheeks when I get out of bed, but yesterday she was quiet and boar in the cage next to her was making an alarming noise. I went to lift up her hidey house find 3 babies and mom with a severe case of prolapsed uterus. I immediately rushed her to the emergency vet but sadly she passed away on just as we arrived. I never knew you could bond this way with cavies. They are my because of my fertility problems, we love them like children, I cannot seem to get over this pain. People at work think im crazy but im so unhappy and sad right now i miss her so. All I can do now is take care of her precious babies who survived.

Attachments

Winnie 2.jpg Winnie 1.jpg The New Babies.jpg

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss, but I am happy that she lives on in her babies. If I lost one of my Guinea Pigs (one is special needs) I would have to take a week or even two off of life...it would even take me a year before it wouldn't hurt so much, so you are not crazy at all! Goodluck with the babies, I hope that they can support you in their little Guinea Pig way and make the pain hurt a little less.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. I hope the little ones do well.

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Hope the little one will be healthy and happy and give you many joys. Make sure you separate any boys when the time comes to make sure you don't get another pregnancy. Thy are so dangerous for piggies!

Big hugs from me and my piggies!

BennyBooBoo

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. I know the pain and heartbreak of losing one of these little guys my husband and I lost out first one 2 weeks ago yesterday. All our love and hugs to you.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss!!! I almost lost my girl from a pregnancy :( took everything we had including a miracle to keep her alive we were so surprised that we were able to keep her alive for 12+ hours till we could get her in to the vet but it worked in our favor because we were able to strengthen her back up a little before a stressful trip to the vet! Advice for the babies: Pedialyte worked great for the first few weeks to make sure they didn't get dehydrated many people recommend critical care(?) I never used that stuff though I just used pedialyte and mushed up alfalfa based pellets and of course hay! I took them out every hour to feed and give pedialyte! They're now 6 weeks old and very healthy :) this is just what worked with me! I always have Pedialyte on hand for my pigs and it really is a life saver!

Last edited:

Liviebrew1

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure Winnie was a great piggie. I know how much it hurts to loss a pet no a family member. On the bright side you have some wonderful babies that she sent for you from heaven.

Amber08844

Cavy Slave
I can not imagine... my mommy had her babies 3 weeks ago and I was worried sick about that very thing. Thank god the babies survived and you can give them a lifetime of love. So sorry for your loss...

deidre.j

Cavy Slave
thank you for the words of encouragement ladies, I think only us in this forum and cavy lovers can understand how deep the crawl into your heart. She surely was my special girl and we taking care of her little babies now :) Once again thank you

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.