Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Just rescued my very first guinea pig!

Lissinea

Cavy Slave
Hello! I just rescued my very first guinea pig a week ago. Penny is 5 years old and has been in 3 homes in the last year (including mine).
It has been kind of a rough week as I have been worried about her settling in and she wasn't eating great for the first few days. I think
I'm finally figuring out what she can and can't have and I've found a good daily routine of green leaf lettuce, pellets and all she can eat
timothy hay. She also loves apples and bananas but I'll be saving those for a once a week treat. She came with a simple starter cage
and I think she has lived in it her whole life, BUT I am planning on getting her settled in a spacious C&C with fleece :)
I have been pouring over the forum and reading as much as I can and boy, have I learned a lot!!
I look forward to getting to know some other people and their piggies!

pearlsmom

Cavy Slave
Welcome... Do u have a pic?? Im new too. And have also already learned lots:)

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can have fruit every day, it's really just the amount you have to be careful with. (I've seen some people give their Guinea pig half of a big banana!) Keep the portions small and frequent or medium and every other day. Green bell peppers are one of the best things to give them because they are packed full of vitamin c. Goodluck with your new baby! :)

Lissinea

Cavy Slave
pearlsmom - Penny is in my avatar, that's all I have....for now :)

Amalee - thank you for that info, I've been getting conflicting info on what to give and how often. Penny will actually take banana from my hand so I've
been giving her a small slice when I take her out of her cage. I've tried red pepper and she didn't seem to care for it, but I've got a green pepper and will try that!

GatsbyandOllie

Cavy Slave
Ah, how adorable! Post some pictures for us all to see! :love: I'm sure she'll have a nice and happy home with you. :)

Lissinea

Cavy Slave
Just rescued my very first guinea pig!

This is Penny! She has that look on her face quite a bit.....as if to say 'Lady, do you have any idea what you are doing?' :)

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your piggy looks pretty cute from your avatar, but the picture is so small...it's good you'll have more pics later! We've mostly become VERY good at photography just by trying to capture the right picture of our babies!

I think you want to be careful on banana though, I heard it can cause constipation.

Other than that, I'm certain she'll have a grand ol' time with you! You seem responsible, coming here to learn all about your piggy! I learned SO much in just a few weeks. I found myself picking up pet books in the library just HOPING they would include guinea pigs...no dice yet :) But I got a wonderful book all about guinea pigs! It has all the breeds and colourings and everything. Really cool. Maybe I'll post a pic of the cover!! Happy trails!

EDIT: I took out the part about the colouring because you just posted a picture! Penny is soooooo cute :)

pearlsmom

Cavy Slave
Aww she is very cute!!!

Nessy

Cavy Slave
Congratulations, she's a gorgeous piggy. Like you I learned loads about care and personality etc from this site, and some very kind and helpful members helped me with my cage design and questions about how many piggies to get as companions for my adopted pig. Sounds like Penny will be well-loved :) x

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs can have fruit every day
Fruit should not be given every day. Fruit is high in sugar and should be given more as an occasional treat.

Green bell peppers are one of the best things to give them because they are packed full of vitamin c.
Bell peppers are indeed an excellent source of vit C.

Lissinea

Cavy Slave
Wow! Thank you all so much for the warm welcome!! It's great to know I have a place for info and support :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.