Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Bin Cages

3bdulla

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking of making a cage made up of two or three bin cages connected by tubes, the tubes are going to be at least 4 inches in diameter. any suggestion are appreciated.

(photo is not mine)

Attachments

rscn2778.jpg

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
For guinea pigs? bin cages are only suitable for hamsters, mice, gerbils and maybe rats. even having a few connected do not come near the recommended 7.5 square feet a guinea pig needs and that is the minimum a guinea pig needs. most of us here have more room than that. https://www.guineapigcages.com/ shows you the minimum cage sizes for guinea pigs and gives you ideas on alternative ways to make cages if you cannot get the materials for a C&C cage.

3bdulla

Cavy Slave
@Megaredize I can buy bins that are 2 ft x 1 ft, do you think i should connect 5 of them? i didn't buy the guinea pigs yet, i usually look up something before buying it.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
They need a minimum of 7.5 square feet of open space, preferably 10.5 sq ft. Connecting them with tubes don't provide an open single level unfortunately. The bins are also much too narrow, which can cause dominance issues & will prevent them from being able to run laps & turning corners.

You can use a cheap regular bookcase as a sturdy cage, it's really common here in Sweden.
You'd need to waterproof it with something like thick pvc/plastic tablecloth which will need replacing, but it's fun to change it with the seasons.
You may also need to support the back/bottom with some cheap plywood, and many prefer to cut a side out & replace it with plexiglass.

I believe Ikea has the same products all over the world, but any bookcase with appropriate inner dimensions would work.
The Billy bookcase is the most popular one here because of the price & generous measurements, it's about ~15 sq feet. The price differs depending on color.

Ikea Billy Bookcase:

Width: 31 1/2" (80cm)
Depth: 11" (28cm)
Height: 79 1/2" (202cm)
Local website:
https://www.ikea.com/ae/en/catalog/products/13690607/#/83688210
US website:

BILLY Bookcase - white - IKEA

Pictures of bookcase cages:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

You can put in one shelf, drill a hole/saw through it & use it as a kitchen area if you can't use coroplast:
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

3bdulla

Cavy Slave
Thanks @HannibalLecter , the idea sounds very appealing to me and the grids and correx are impossible to find in uae.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Two of those bookcase cages are very cute.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I love the look of those bookcase cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.