Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Best way to get rid of odors in Midwest Cage

rachelappel

Cavy Slave
I'm currently fostering two piggies and changed their cage today because it smelled incredibly horrible (which is impressive because my cage of four hasn't even started smelling yet). I've been changed it every 2-3 days or so. They're house in one of the midwest habitats and the canvas piece it was smells so bad. I've washed it with soap (dye/perfume free) and vinegar twice today and it still smells bad. I have my baby pig in a separate midwest habitat and haven't had a problem with it, I usually wash it once every other cage change, which is about every week or so. All the pigs are kept on fleece, and spot cleaned once a day. I don't get how theirs smells so much worse than the other cages. Is there anything else I can do to try to get rid of the odor? Other than buying a new canvas bottom?

Re: best way to get rid of odors

Put a thing of baking soda on the outside of the cage... I don't think it does much but you could try it.

I've actually had an open box of baking soda sitting right next to the cage for about 5 days now :/

o well if I think of anything I will let you know... good luck :/

Try soaking the canvas in a tub of vinegar.

I think the canvas is machine washable, you might try that too.

Yes it is machine washable, I've washed it twice. The rescue owner said to try scrubbing it with baking soda, then letting it soak in vinegar, so we'll see if that works!

The tarp that they use is a material and is NOT impervious to liquids--unlike Coroplast. I'm quite sure that the more you wash it and scrub it, the worse it is going to get. Washing it in the washing machine is just going to continue to strip away any coatings that keeps the liquids from absorbing into the material. Baking soda isn't going to solve anything. Switch to Coroplast and save yourself a mountain of work and frustration.

How about an enzyme based cleaner like the kind to remove dog/cat urine smells?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.