Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Just a quick question:)

hazelbaby2525

Cavy Slave
So all my cavies have lice :( I already took them to the vet and got treatments for all of them ( I have to apply one little bottle to each of them every 21 days 3 times ) I use fleece bedding, I was wondering if I should switch to newspaper or something until the lice is gone? Can the lice live in the fleece? Will they come back if I leave the fleece in there and should I wash the fleece more of tern than every 3-4 days which is what I usually do...?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, the lice can't live in the fleece, and washing every three days or so should be sufficient.

What medication did they give you? Twenty-one days seems a long time between treatments to me.

hazelbaby2525

Cavy Slave
Its called revolution

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Its called revolution

2 of my newer boys have lice, they are on their last treatment of Revolution (2 drops on shoulder blades) this week. It should be every 2 weeks (14 days)... What dosage did the vet give you?

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Also, I use fleece bedding and it is perfectly fine to use while they have lice. The one thing I will say though, is change the cage to clean fleece on the 2nd or 3rd day right after each treatment that way the dead lice are not in the cage for a while. Revolution works by the killing the live lice, so the reason you should treat every 14 days to kill the hatch eggs that way you are not giving them enough time to continue reproducing. It will be a never ending cycle if you don't treat fast enough.

hazelbaby2525

Cavy Slave
The dosage he gave me was .25 ml to each Guinea pig, except my younger one he has a special dosage that he put in droppers and it says one dose between shoulders every 3 weeks...

hazelbaby2525

Cavy Slave
I'm just going to listen to my vet about doing it every 3 weeks just to be safe but thank you for the advice :)

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I'm just going to listen to my vet about doing it every 3 weeks just to be safe but thank you for the advice :)
I wouldn't want you to overdose your piggies! Is this vet cavy savvy? Does he have a ton of experience with piggies? I would call around to other vets to ask and/or to be seen there if not. That dosage doesn't sound right to me... My 2 boys that have lice are very young and they are on the 2 drops each every 2 weeks. I am not a vet, but I am just speaking from experience on this area.

hazelbaby2525

Cavy Slave
What's in the container is only about 3 drops for my 2 females who are 4 months old and 1-2 drops in the special droppers for my 2 month old and no its not cavy savvy it was Westover animal hospital and I went there based off of reccomendation and yes he does have a ton of experience with piggies along with other pocket pets, its what he specializes in but thank you for your concern :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.