Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Can you help this confused newbie?

kimkg

Cavy Slave
I've read these forums until I've learned enough to make me confused!

I've read about using fleece, but then also about having a "kitchen" area with wood chips or carefresh bedding. That makes sense, but then when you wash the fleece each week, do you also have to dump that bedding, and is it difficult to get it off the fleece?

I also read someone said they place a hand towel under the igloo and change it everyday. Do guineas urinate even in the igloo? What do you do with all these towels each day until you're ready to do your weekly fleece laundry?

I saw sewing instructions for fleece, but is that necessary? Can you not just lay it out and clip it to the cloroplast?

What do you do with your guinea pigs while you're cleaning their cage?

I've also read about having a "litter" area. What is that? How can you train a guinea to litter?

Thanks for your help!

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
There are a lot of different ways to use fleece but here is my way. I have a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft.

The entire cage is fleece that I have layed out over-haul pads and clipped it to the coroplast. I don't have a sewing machine so it's easiest for me. I have a "litter box" with Petco paper pellet cat litter in it under their hay rack. It controls the smell very well and keeps a ton of hay from getting on the fleece. I only have to change it once in the middle of the week. I used to have a kitchen area but the bedding was always sticking to the fleece so I did away with it and stuck with a small litter box under their hay. Pigs pee/poop most where they sleep and eat and mine are no exception therefore I also have extra fleece pads for under their igloos. I change those out about every other day, sometimes more if they are really gross. The loft is mainly a sleeping area so I change it out once in the middle of the week because it gets dirty pretty fast. I do laundry 2x a week: once when I change out their loft and once when I do a full cleaning. The dirty laundry is kept in the garage til it's time to wash.

There really is no "right" way to do it. Once you change to fleece, you will find what works for you and your pigs based on what your cage and pigs are like. I just do what is easiest and keep the cage cleanest :)

Oh, and they can't really be litter trained but some pigs prefer to use a corner or 2.....not mine. They go wherever they feel like it lol

NormaS

Cavy Slave
My piggy does his business everywhere but tends to pee more in the kitchen area. I have fleece flippers that I bought through this site, but you can use a large piece of fleece and use binders to keep it in place. I use uhaul beneath the fleece. I started using fleece a week ago. I use a hand vacuum to pick up the poop twice a day and clean the kitchen are twice during the week. Today I simple flipped the flippers to the clean side as they weren't smelly at all. I will wash them next week. I have another set of flippers just ready. In the kitchen area I use Carefresh and I vacuum whatever gets into the fleece.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I made fleece pads that have fleece on the outside and a single layer of uhaul pad in the middle. I have three 2x4 cages with two fleece pads slightly overlapped in each cage and two pieces of uhaul pads butted up under the fleece pads. The guinea pigs hop to the other side as remove the soiled bedding from one side and spray and wipe with 50x50 vinegar and water. I replace that side with clean bedding and they hop over there and I repeat the process. I like the fact that they can stay in the cage when I clean it. I clean my cages about every three days and do the laundry same day.

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
I have two cages because I have a female I adopted to be my male's friend and she now hates him, so they have been separated. Her cage is a 2x3 and I line her cage with pee pads and then two fleece blankets to make it more comfortable. I recently purchased whelping/washable pee pads and they turned out to work pretty well, so I might switch to those instead of pee pads. She also has a litter box under her water bottle and hay basket since she seems to go to the bathroom there the most. She still pees/poops outside of it, but if I can contain even a little bit, I think it's worth it.

Mowgli has a 2x4 with a 2x1 loft which I made his kitchen area. I still use the same fleece/pee pad set up there and have his litter tray and water bottle in a corner and his hay basket by the entrance to the loft. I actually might move it to be directly over his litter box as well because he makes a huge mess. Out of the two piggies, he uses his litter box way more frequently, so it's definitely worth it for him.

I had been thinking about getting a kitchen area for Mowgli's cage since it's bigger and would probably just make sure the walls were high enough that the bulk of the Care Fresh wouldn't get into the rest of the cage. Or I would use the Eco-Straw litter I currently use for the kitchen and just scoop out the clumps as they form. It doesn't really stick to the fleece so it might be the better option really. It also doesn't hurt him if he tries to eat it.

kimkg

Cavy Slave
What do you use as the litter box?

Mowgs

Cavy Slave
I use the same ones you use for rabbits that fit in the corner of the cage. My piggies generally pee in the corners so they work pretty well. I've seen other people use like large tupperware like containers or small cat litter boxes. I tried first with a cardboard box to see if he would take to it, and since it kind of worked, I spent the $6 on the rabbit litter boxes.

porkchophamster

Cavy Slave
I made my own out of coroplast :) It's about the size of a 1x1 square

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.