Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Alternatives to fleece? Thoughts...

BopBop

Cavy Slave
So I've been using cloth diapers on my DD and we recently got our first family pig. (I had pigs growing up and didn't learn about fleece til lafter we no longer had them) This has made me think about bedding and cage materials in a whole different light.

As a result of using cloth diapers I've learned a LOT about absorbent materials, and wicking materials.
I'm wondering if anyone has used other wicking materials that don't unravel in their pig cages and what the results where?
I'm specifically thinking of the following:
Wicking jersey, May be called Athletic Wicking Jersey?
Alova Suede (common around Halloween time and popular for costume making, but wicks really well)
Cotton Velour (Wicking but ill feel wet eventually if the absorbent material is fully saturated)
Micro Fleece

None of these Unravel so They wouldn't be a choking hazard and all are stretchy in at least one direction. And wash well also Though I've heard cotton Velour doesn't work as well over time since it can wear around seams, but that was with diapers so not quiet the same type of wear going on here...

I ask because I have all of these available to me in one form or fashion. I bought them to make diapers with and haven't gotten around to it since I have a large diaper stash and DD is potty training.

I'm also loving the fleece flippers idea and thinking that might be fun to make. (obviously they wouldn't be the same since I don't have Uhaul pads/blankets but same concept.) But maybe make them with a few different wicking materials and see which works best.
Thoughts?

R5 plus

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about any of the ones you mentioned. If the material stays wet, it won't work. If it loose threads or picks easily (sharp claws/teeth), it won't work.

There have been several threads addressing diapering materials. See the second hit down from this search:

Google

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
I'd be worried about the athletic material snagging on tiny claws. We use that same material for some shirts at work and it snags super easily. And I'd be worried about the aloha suede being too thin and becoming wet.

Honestly, after fleece is washed enough times it wicks really really well. It's thick and won't snag. I'd say give the other materials a shot if you have them but I think it will be hard to beat fleece, lol

BopBop

Cavy Slave
Ohh yeah the claws on the wicking jersey wouldn't be good. I'm going to test cotton velour as its super cushy and soft. And give the alova suede a shot too. Maybe do each one for a week ish and rotate and see which seems to work better.
My sweet Hoshi had damp little paws last night when I loved on her, so I want to get the top layer to stay dry and wick fast and well so she doesn't get sick.
I figure as side from claws if it works for my dd it's worth a shot for my fur kid. :)
I'll try to keep notes to post later this month.
Also going to try a small towel that rotates daily under the pigloo to help prevent moisture.
Her towels aren't even hardly damp under the fleece so I'm thinking it's a fleece issue not absorbency issue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.