Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Sensitive Piggies?

ILovePiggies456

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

A while ago I noticed that my guinea pigs have become really sensitive to being touched. Maybe I just didn't notice this when I first got them, but I don't remember them behaving this way. Most of the time they bite me when I try to pick them up (I am picking them up the right way) and squeak loudly when I touch them. I have also noticed some white (very small) dots near the end of one of my guinea pig's back. As well, my other guinea pig has a slight v-shaped bald-ish patch on her back as you can see below. I'm not sure if this is from mites or if it's from the shape of her rosettes (she's an Abby). I've read that longer haired guinea pigs tend to shed less that short-haired ones, but my guinea pigs shed quite a bit. I find lots of their hair on my clothes after I've been holding them. Even though they sometimes bite and squeak loudly when I handle them, there are other times when they relax and stretch out and let me pet them. I am confused about this. If they truly had mites, wouldn't they always not want to be touched? I'm pretty sure they don't have lice since I've looked through their fur and didn't find anything, but could they have mites? I'm thinking that they do, and I have already ordered Durvet Ivermectin Pour On, 250Ml off of Amazon, but I just want to confirm my suspicions.

Sensitive Piggies?
Sensitive Piggies?

Also, those who have treated guinea pigs with mites, did you notice a change in your guinea pig's personality after the treatment was done? Or were the guinea pigs still upset when handled? And if your guinea pig used to have mites, did he/she behave in a similar manner to my guinea pigs?

Thanks for all your help!

I'm not really able to help here but it does sound like mites as the white specks were probably dry skin flakes.

My girls were treated before ingot them and they seemed and acted the same way they do now.

Definitely mites -- that V-shaped pattern is absolutely classic for mites. Treat them all with ivermectin (the pour-on kind is easier for newbies to use) or take them to the vet for treatment. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html, and follow the ivermectin links.

Definitely mites -- that V-shaped pattern is absolutely classic for mites. Treat them all with ivermectin (the pour-on kind is easier for newbies to use) or take them to the vet for treatment. Read https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html, and follow the ivermectin links.

Ok, thanks! I just wanted a confirmation of what I thought as I have already purchased the pour-on kind of ivermectin. It should (hopefully) arrive in a few days. I can't wait to get rid of the mites! I've been reading the Guinea Lynx pages on mites and the dosage of ivermectin. Their dose calculator is really helpful!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.