Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I love my pigs!

SimmyPig

Cavy Slave
Hola!

My BF and I got 2 guinea pigs from Petsmart about 3 weeks ago. Two males, Milton and Wesley. After some extensive research, we decided to build them a C&C Cage. The younger pig, Milton (4 weeks) and Wesley (6 weeks) don't seem to like each other although they are able to live together. The first 2 days we let them adjust to their new environment before handling. It's been 3 weeks now and they still seem very apprehensive of us. Wesley has a fungal infection on his nose which we have been treating with OTC medicine since we are still waiting to hear from the Vet whether or not it's ringworm. Milton shows no signs of any infection even though they have been living together.

They seem to be happy pigs so far but don't like us to handle them. I spend most of my time after work sitting next to the cage talking to them and hand feeding them various veggies I've prepared. Should I be concerned that they still haven't warmed up to us yet?

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Pictures are a must! So glad you built them a C&C cage! Make sure its baby proofed. And no need to be worried, it can take months for them to warm up to you. They are prey animals and will always be scared. And your doing everything right to get the boys warmed up to you. You could also do the towel trick, Wrap one of them in a towel (like a burrito) And have a veggie in hand and while you are holding one of the boys, Hold the veggie, and gently pet them.:)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Warming u takes a long time sometimes.

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
i handle my pigs every single day for a month, and one is tame enough to hang out outside her hideys and let me pet her while she's eating. one will always hide when i approach the cage with food, and only once have i managed to get her to come to the cage front for food. so i guess it really depends on the piggies! doing the towel trick and handling them will get them used to it i think :)

both don't like it when its time to get picked up though...

best of luck and welcome to the forum!

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, I had to cut in though I don't have much advice (they do take time, you know). My sister's guinea pig is a female, and her original name was Delilah (I call her Deli--she's a fat piggy :D) but my sister decided that she wanted a boy and now "he" is named WESLEY! I seriously considered naming my new girl Buttercup (if anyone knows the Princess Bride).
Welcome, and definitely handle them often, talk to them softly, and hold then firmly but not too hard. They need to hear your voice and recognize that you will not hurt them. They are prey animals, after all, and their instinct is to flee a dangerous situation. Good kick, and post some pigtures soon!

MrsSuzy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It can take a long time and sometimes it's about finding their comfort level. I've had my girls since September last year and still can't pet them in their cage. But if they are under a hidey they don't mind; out on the open they just run. I found that lying on the floor to be at their level also helps. They'll come to me and give me a nose kiss ❤️. But if I move my hands fast, they run.

I take them out for lap time and needless to say they don't like the grabbing. But once their in my lap they quite like it (with the exception of Dahlia).

Make sure to post some photos, would love to see your piggies.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Hey, welcome! I got my pigs from a pet store a while ago too! But I'm not gonna do that again! :) Anyways, just making sure you know that you should double check their genders so you don't end up with more than a handful of piggies! Also, you should monitor them especially well right now as most pet stores pigs are sick! (mine were) You sound like a wonderful piggie parent! And like you have some spoiled pigs!

Usually 8-9 months is the magic number for warming up (stinks right?) to you but some pigs are naturally audacious and some are naturally scared! Hand feeding is great and so is lap time! Good luck!

jasperpatches

Cavy Slave
Hello, cant wait to see pictures of your piggys :) x

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.