Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Sick piggie

nibbler100

Cavy Slave
So, Oliver, my senor pig (i think) Has been feeling down in the dumps lately, i notices Friday his right eye seemed to be vary wet.. that raised my concerns. I checked on him all day Saturday and he was fine.. eating drinking and everything.. i go into the rodent room tonight and he greats me with his normal cute self.. running up to the cage side weeking at me.. but i notice he has a lot of crusty s around that same eye, i pick him up and notice a bit of discharge from the nose. i go on and feed all the animals.. let him eat. and then take him back out for a closer examination. He was impacted.. so i went ahead and removed the lump of poop from his bottom... I'm going to hold him know for awhile until he pees on me.. i want to make sour hes peeing... but tomorrow first thing I'm going to make a apt for him at the vet. know that I have him out hes kinda not really acting him self.. He has always been a vary laid back him.. he doesn't really care whats going on as long as you love on him.. but hes more quit then normal. i have had him out know for about 30 mins and still no pee, but that's normal for him.. although he his pooping a lot. Poops do look normal. I have anti biotic (my vet just gives me big bottles of it) But i dont have a syringe that's marked good for his wight. I have mama pigs tho that's marked for her wight.. shes smaller then him, so i was wondering if i would give him anti biotic out of that syringe? it is clean and everything i wash it after every use..

Oh no! Poor little Ollie Oliver! Give him a big hug from me to start off with. But wouldn't Mana Pigs antibiotics be different for the lump them those administered for a URI?

Oh no! Poor little Ollie Oliver! Give him a big hug from me to start off with. But wouldn't Mana Pigs antibiotics be different for the lump them those administered for a URI?
No, when it comes to guinea pigs my vet uses one of two ant biotics. There's not really alot to choice from when it comes to guinea pigs anyway. He gave me the same stuff to treat Riley when I first got her, she had a uri. And I will give him hugs for you. The vet opens in a hour and im gunna call then, he has gotten alot more lathargic threw the night

I hope hes ok!

Baytril is usually prescribed for URIs. Bactrim is usually prescribed for UTIs. But it's usually best for the vet to culture any mucus to see which antibiotic is actually best. There's also Chloramphenicol and Doxycycline, and even a couple more I can't remember right now that are safe to use with guinea pigs.

I am hoping that by now you'll have either talked to the vet or had an appointment. What did the vet say?

I did i take him in yesterday and we disused a lot. Oliver has been getting sick quit frequently latty, and i am concerned about that. We discussed options that i may have to take in the near futcher with him sadly. Despit him not eating Monday at all Oliver still weighed more then his last vet visit witch was a fallow up for his ring worms about three months ago. The vet checked his lungs and didn't hear anything off.. so he got out his really fansey Hearing thing (i forget what there called) and checked again, he also checked his hart beat. Every thing was fine. He looked at his eyes and they seemed okay too, he did give me eye drops tho because if there was something stuck in there then they would get it out and stop a possible infection. He also sent me home with new anti biotic and a pro biotic.. I also talked him about how often Oliver gets compacted and my concerns with that.. he said theirs really not much he could do about it other then recommend i clean it out more.. witch is okay but I'm already cleaning it weekly. I also discussed with him if all this was something that had anything to due with how he was when I found him.. He said its vary possible and he does suspect Oliver to be in that elder rang for a guinea pig between 5-7 years old. He also explained that what I'm seeing as far as lethargic and less interest in food could all be factors in him getting to about that time. Neather the less he also said i still need to keep my eyes open for anything off, i need to waigh him weekly, and i need to give him lots of TLC.

it was all hard to really take in.. I new Oliver was a older pig but i didn't suspect that old.. Hes always been my little baby boy, so sweet and loving and like no other pig i have ever meant.. raping my head around the fact that my little olly boy might not be with me forever is hard.. ill hope for the best tho.

Yes, there certainly are issues that tend to show up as they get older. Impaction can be one and it's just something you buckle down and deal with. It's hard sometimes to accept that our furry friends are getting up in years and the time is limited. Keep on eye on how he is from day to day and if it does come down to possibly making that hard decision, you'll know.

Awwww I hope the old guy does OK! It's so hard when they get older because you know what is coming! I know with all my pets I'm going to have to face this a lot and it just breaks my heart! Please keep us updated on Oliver!

I wont give up on him unless i know its the right time, hes always had fight and i suspect he'll try and fight death too. Its just hard to watch.. seeing them get old. But he knows i wont give up on him. he knows i love him and that hes in good hands. all i can do is make the rest of his life as easy as posible,

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.