Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage need closed cage ideas that's easy to clean

gibson2680

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, i am fairly new to the whole guinea pig world, and i am looking for some tips..... I have a cage that is 3x2 with two girls in it. and i use fleece and towles in it.....my problem is i don't have grids at the moment and it's a little to hard to get to the back of it to sweep it out so i'm thinking i'm gonna end up remodeling it again, but not sure how i want to do it. So i was wondering if anyone has any tips on designing a cage that will be easy to clean out but still gives them plenty of space to run and play? it has to have a lid on it though cuz i do have other animals. I am attaching a current pic of what i have set up right now. if you want to post pic's of your set up and give me tips to why it works for you or doesn't work I would love to see and hear from anyone interested :) Plus i just like to look at the different cage ideas lol....ok so here's my cage.
Summer in her new cage.jpgguinea pigs 2 001.jpg

gibson2680

Cavy Slave
I'm not happy with the set up of this cage right now cuz it's really hard to get to the back of it to sweep under that shelf. the shelf is easy to clean cuz i made it do that the side flips down so i can clean it then put it back up so the girls don't fall off. :)

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Have you gone through the gallery? You may find some good ideas there! :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I was going to suggest the same thing. There is a gallery specifically designated to closed cages. I find the galleries to be great sources of inspiration. Lots of creativity going on there!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
VACUUM! My vacuum is my savior! I have a "Eureka!" vacuum and I use the hose. My vacuum was cheap and it works really well. I can make a video if you want me to.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I agree with the suggestions here the gallery is awesome! I still spend a lot of time there because I'm going to upgrade even more. The other suggestion of a vacuum is also right on! It takes me less than 10 minutes to vacuum up the cage!

lissie

Cavy Slave
@gibson2680 I'd recommend covering the wires on your ramp. Your pigs could injure their paws or break their legs if they get trapped in that ramp.

Here are some closed cages that I like.
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

The bottom part of this one is closed. You can cover the top with closet shelves.
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

danih

Cavy Slave
lovely pics

gibson2680

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the suggestions :) and yes i have been browsing the galeries but just wanted to hear from people on what works for them and what doesn't or what they want to change. @lissie, i agree and will be covering the ramp for sure, when i took the pic i was waiting for all my stuff to come out of the laundry :) My only concirn with using the vaccume is that it would really scare the guinea pigs?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Some pigs don't like vacuums since loud sounds in general are unpleasant to guinea pigs, but some are fine with it. My girls could care less if I vacuum around them, but then again, Amy's immune to pretty much everything and Quinn follows her lead. It's all about whether your pig is brave or timid with loud noise in general.

gibson2680

Cavy Slave
My girls run and hide at every noise still so i don't think the vaccume is a very good idea lol....I've only had them for 2 weeks so far :)

gibson2680

Cavy Slave
thanks lissie for posting the pic's i really like how that one cage opens, the one that the little girl is standing beside. might just try something like that when i get grids :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.