Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi future parent here

edcaguy

Cavy Slave
Hi i'm Mike I currently have 6 Robos and 1 Short hair hamster between 3 cages and thought a pair of GP would be nice to have. I don't work too many hours so I will have time to care for them. I'm going to adopt 2 from a litter of 5. My question 2 Males or the other does it matter much?

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
Hi Mike!
As long as their the same sex (unless one is neutered then you can intermingle) then that's fine. Never put a male and female together unless you plan to do some math.

If you're getting them young from the same litter - they'll be going through puberty together which can cause some fighting, mood changes, and humping - everything.... I went through it with two females and from what I've heard the only difference in males is a lot of scent marking.

Make sure that you have plenty of space with your cage, doubles of everything and just read up on puberty and maybe some of the issues that other people have had and how they fixed it.

Good luck and welcome!

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
It doesn't really matter with the gender I guess. I have two sows and they are smaller than the boars. With boars you have to deal with boar glue. Other than that, there really isn't much of a difference between them.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@YourSoJelly Not all sows are smaller then the boars and I wouldn't say that either gender is bigger then the other.

I have a mix (these are the fully grown piggys in the house right now)..two 1200 grams boars, a 800 gram boar, 900 gram sow, 1100 gram sow, two 1300 gram sows, a 890 gram boar and a 770 gram sow. They can all come in any shape or size.

Boars are a bit more work then sows and usually require more room so they can each live happily in their shared Territory. I have found boars to be the ones to get into my heart faster as they've always happened to be piggies that are wanting attention (haha lucky!) and do anything to please me..like their tricks :p

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
@YourSoJelly Not all sows are smaller then the boars and I wouldn't say that either gender is bigger then the other.

I have a mix (these are the fully grown piggys in the house right now)..two 1200 grams boars, a 800 gram boar, 900 gram sow, 1100 gram sow, two 1300 gram sows, a 890 gram boar and a 770 gram sow. They can all come in any shape or size.

Boars are a bit more work then sows and usually require more room so they can each live happily in their shared Territory. I have found boars to be the ones to get into my heart faster as they've always happened to be piggies that are wanting attention (haha lucky!) and do anything to please me..like their tricks :p

Oh, I know that. My girls are just small. I was just saying that in my personal experience, my two sows have always been smaller than any boar i have encountered.

edcaguy

Cavy Slave
Update my intro post because of my new arrivals. There name already are named Brian and Boston though not sure if I should rename them and what to name if I do. There two males. I was lucky and they gave me the crate and 2 blankets inside! I'm going donate back to the shelter next week. Six of the pigs were just dropped off 5 males and 1 female :(
Hi future parent here

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.