Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hey Everyone :D

crose136

Cavy Slave
Hey all I'm Cassandra.

As all of you more then likely are, I am a piggy lover.
I have one boy, who loves being just him and me. He used to live in a litter box cage.
But soon that will be no more. My dad recently brought home a large piece of corflute from work,
and brought wire shelve racks, he made me a new cage like the C&C and I love it.

Heres a picture, my boys only in it because we were testing size comparasin and he loves it.
Litter wasn't meant to go in but dad didn't realise, and I still have to set up his toys and houses.
IMG_20130112_173304.jpg
I will be adding newspaper on the base and then fleece over the top.

I need some ideas on home made simple toys to fill the space. Hes only got one house, a food bowl,
and water bottle at this point.
If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.

My boys name is Piggy, he is white and cream, long fur short in some areas and very pretty red eyes.
Hes my best friend, study buddy, and no one will replace him, he loves to sit on my homework and nibble
my books.

Can't wait to see what ideas are on this site and meet people.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
You can make some great hideys and cuddle cups if you're handy with sewing, but you can do lots of other simple things, too. I use boxes that I split and put in an A-frame shape as hideys. I overturn larger boxes after cutting entrances in the ends. I stuff brown bags with hay and I do the same with paper towel rolls or toilet paper rolls. I make tents out of newspaper. The possibilities are just about limitless to enrich your piggies.

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Welcome! Piggy is adorable and I love your cage!

You said he only has a house, water bottle, and food dish as of right now. Does he have any hay? It's a necessity for guinea pigs.

As for a toy idea, my two pigs love brown paper bags and toilet paper tubes stuffed with Timothy hay.

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
Hello!

Your cage is looking good so far, i like it. You should post some pictures of little Piggy for us to see:)

Toy ideas:
Toilet paper tubes / paper towel tubes are a big hit with my boys. Chewing on it helps their teeth too, so that's an added bonus.
Take any spare cardboard box and cut a door in it to make another hidey house.
Here's how to make a tunnel out of a small box and some cloth. The girl uses a towel, but I recommend fleece instead. No sew guinea pig snuggle tunnel - YouTube
Crumple up a piece of paper into a ball and throw it into the cage.
Stuffed animals are good for them to cuddle with.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.

By the way, you might wanna get your little guy a cage mate. He would definitely appreciate it.

crose136

Cavy Slave
Yes he has hay, its always laid in his current cage and he loves it, hes giving fresh hay daily, I'll see what I find around the house, I know we have plenty of toilet paper tubes, and paper bags are super cheap at the shops. Cuddle Cups sound like a great idea so glad mum recently found the sowing machine because I am handy with it :D Love the ideas. and plenty of boxes and cartons from cans will be handy for hidey holes since dad always has boxes around.

crose136

Cavy Slave
Heres a pigture of him as a baby when I first got him. Seeds weren't meant to be in there mum didn't realise - I swapped them
out for hay and pellets after the photo.

558244_346633668716537_238870140_n.jpg

Hes now much much bigger since hes almost a year old, he loves being on his own for some reason, except when I bring him out he loves to explore my bed and desk.
Love the ideas the video was helpful, once I get home in 2 days I will set it all up and hopefully get some more pictures up of the
cage and him.

crose136

Cavy Slave
He looks scruffy because he was sleeping in my jacket pocket just before we put him in the cage. He loves sleeping in my pocket still even though his butt sticks out and people give me funny looks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.