Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Do I need to be concerned?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Izzy has been making some 'funny' sounds lately.I almost want to say they sound like whimpers or half wheeks? She normally mumbled to herself but this is different. I don't think she's in pain, as she'll make the noises at any time, even laying with me on my bed.

Her appetite is good. She's wheeking like her usual self, eating hay, her veggies etc. Her weight is good, 1125, which is normal for her. She hasn't lost.

She's pooping and peeing all the same.

Her eyes aren't crusty, and she isn't really coughing. Over the course of the week I may have heard a cough or two, but she was also in the hay bag so I think that's justified.

Yesterday I saw her sneeze and wipe her nose with her paws, but it isn't vet and there are no crusts on it.

Is it necessary to bring her to the vet? We've spent well over 1000$ on the vet this year, and she isn't noticeably sick, I think I'm paranoid at this point.

My mom said she really can't afford another vet visit, if it needs to happen it will, I can scrap the funds together.

Do you think for now it's okay to monitor her weight and behavior, and if something goes wrong take her to the vet then?

Also, would taking her temperature make any difference? I really wish I had a stethoscope to listen to her heart/lungs.

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would wait, for the next 4-5 days and moniter her. Paranoid is a good thing!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Heh, I rather be paranoid (and I certainly am) than miss something.

Could you possibly record her sounds? Weighing more frequently is definitely something I do when something seems off.

I hope it's nothing!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I hope it's nothing too :(

And I tried too, but she was eating poops at the same time so really all you hear is her chewing -.-

I shall try again when I catch them.

PixiePony

Cavy Slave
There was a girl I knew who had a guineapig who whipped his nose and sneezed only once a day..:-/ that guineapig died 14 days later, it isn't something to wait or be reluctant about...:( but I do think you might be paranoid monitor her 2-3 more days if no improvement vet!!!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Could it be more of a behavioral thing than a medical one? Is she more, or even less, stressed than usual?

I think you are safe just monitoring her for now. Weigh daily, perhaps. You can supplement her with some vitamin C (25 to 50 mg would be fine)--it won't hurt and may help.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@foggycreekcavy I don't think she's more stressed. I've had her since May 12, and she's always been the more laid back pig. She'll cuddle in my bed with me and take a snooze no problem every night. I haven't been cuddling them as much because I'm back to school now after the break, could that perhaps have caused it?

She seems to pretty much be herself. I'm wondering if those noises are her way of getting my attention though. Come to think of it, that could be possible. If I hear it I'll go over and listen or pick her up and cuddle her. So maybe she's just looking for attention.

Regardless, her weight is still stable. I can try the vitamin C, she absolutely hates taking it but it's worth it to keep my baby healthy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.