Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Which area to keep the cage?

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!
I keep my 2x4 guinea pig cage in my house's computer room,and keep the door closed because I regularly let my hamster out of his cage to free range the room. So it's pretty quiet in the room. My two piggies are still not tame enough even though I had them months already! Is it because they are in a quiet area? I let them play and have excersice in a large playpen almost everyday and try to tame them with vegetables etc. and sometimes handle them. ShouldShould i move them into a higher traffic area like the living room? Im just not too sure if it will scare them more because of louder noises. Thanks!:)

Lucille

Cavy Slave
I keep mine in my computer room as well. I'm thinking that confidence (theirs) would be better built with calm atmosphere and veggies and handling just like you are doing. ps I adore your name, Cheesypuffpea :)

PipSqueek

Cavy Slave
I think that depends on how much time you spend in the room with them. Our piggies live in a dedicated pet room upstairs but we spend quite a lot of time up there with them, and playing music from the bedroom, so they're quite tame now. My younger pair of boys are super tame as they've always been kept in an environment like this, but the girls were kept in a loud, crowded place before they came here and they're very shy. They're getting better being kept like this, and I think it's a good way to keep pigs for taming down. Maybe you could set up a small pen for them to spend time in the main room of the house whilst it's quieter e.g. When you're watching tv, so they get the best of both worlds?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I think it really helps to have pigs in a high traffic area, both in terms of getting them tamer/more used to things and so you see them and can give them spontaneous attention.

My girls' cage is in the quiet front room but they spend pretty much all day in the high-traffic family room in a swimming pool playpen. Amy was tame and used to chaos when we got her, but Quinn was very scared and flighty. She's gotten a lot better from being around lots of traffic, household noise, and activity. I also like having them right there to hear their cute little wheeks and reward them with a treat, although I make it a point to go in the front room several times a day if I leave them in there all day for some reason.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Mine are in the open planned living room/dinning/kitchen which is a super high traffic area and often filled with loud children and any number of other noises. The guinea pigs seem fine with this arrangement and I like it because they are with me almost all day since 90% of the family's home time is spent in the living area.

madison45

Cavy Slave
I do not know how a high traffic area will help because i have had my boy in my room for 3 years and he is still not tame he just tolerates me
hope this helped

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My girls have differently gotten calmer and tamer by being kept in a high traffic area. They're in the living room, just outside the kitchen gate. They were uber skittish and scared when we got them. Now most times they like getting pet and receiving attention.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
I keep my girls in my bedroom.

cheesypuffpea

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for all the advice! I think that I'll go with PipSqueek's suggestion and set up a playpen for them to spend time in with in the living room, so they can experience both. Hopefully that'll make them more tame. All your replies helped!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.