Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Everyone!

Samantha Denney

Cavy Slave
My name is Samantha, and I have two 10 week old male skinny pigs who I adopted this past Friday.
They are about 10 weeks old. I've named the black one Thorin, but have not chosen a name for the lighter one yet.

Hello Everyone!
Hello Everyone!

When I first brought the boys home on Friday night, I noticed a faint white color on the forehead of one of the pigs (the one pictured on the above right). Immediately I thought it was ringworm, since ringworm can be characterized as powdery white. Of course, they were already going to be quarantined because I have other pets in my home. I purchased extra virgin coconut oil because of it's natural anti-fungal properties, and also because I've read that there are many uses of this product for hairless guinea pigs.

I have raised all sorts of rodents as pets, but never rabbits or guinea pigs so this experience is very new to me. I've had the pigs for four days now and noticed little white spots appearing on their fleece. I was afraid they were some kind of fungus or mold buildup as they were appearing within a matter of hours. After doing a bit of research I've learned that these spots are likely calcium deposits. I have given them romaine lettuce since bringing them home so that is likely the culprit. I'm not going to feed anymore fresh foods with exception of peppers until the boys have been examined by their veterinarian, and also until I see a positive change regarding the calcium deposits.

We are meeting with Dr. Brinker. I've heard many great things about him and his knowledge and ability to work with small animals so I'm really looking forward to meeting him and seeing how he examines the guinea pigs. I am very particular about the healthcare of my animals!

Right now the boys are being housed in a ZooZone 2, but today I get to pick up the 8ft by 4ft sheet of coroplast I ordered from a local sign shop and will be able to complete their 2x5 C&C cage! After Christmas I plan on ordering some Piggy BedSpreads and will definitely have tons of pictures to share!

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable of rodent care (I've raised Syrian hamsters, Campbell's dwarf hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, and even a hedgehog), but there is quite a lot to learn about guinea pigs. I hope to be able to share my experiences with this community, and also learn from the experiences of others. I love to post pictures and have even started a guinea pig blog on Tumblr to document this exciting new adventure with skinny pigs! I look forward to meeting everyone here on the forums!

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you are highly educated owner and I'm glad these babies have a home with you!

Welcome to the forum! Have you also checked out Guinea Lynx?

Samantha Denney

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you are highly educated owner and I'm glad these babies have a home with you!

Welcome to the forum! Have you also checked out Guinea Lynx?

Thank you! I definitely don't know all there is to know, but I try to learn as much as I can! Guinea Lynx was one of the first sources I came across when I started reading up on guinea pigs. So far it seems to be one of the best online resources I've come across!

MonkeysMomma

Cavy Slave
O M G they are so stinkin' cute!! And Hi! Welcome!

rdoye225

Cavy Slave
I have heard that they need more food is this right? Welcome.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Hi! Welcome to the forum!
To hell, you've done your research. And what a plunge your taking, getting skinny's as your first :) They'de look adorable in little coats.
I've never seen one in the flesh before, as we don't have them in Ireland (too cold). I'de love to see them, for real. Not just photos.
I adore their ears. They are just so.... BIG!
Anyho, good luck with them, and keep us posted :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.