Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dropping in to say HI! And introduce myself

jtrg1

Cavy Slave
I am what I would say new to having cavies. I have 5, two girls and three boys! They range in age from 19 months to just about a year.
I am learning as I go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially getting them to be a little less afraid.
Being honest, I work around 70+hours a week, and Pig time isnt always as long as I feel it should be!
But there is nothing I wouldnt do to make sure they are OK.

Welcome to the forum! The biggest piece of advice I would offer is to let things happen according to the pigs' times, and not yours. Each piggy is different of course, but once I learned to approach them as individuals, they relaxed a bit. One of ours lets me sit by her cage and pet her while she's still in it, and kind of dozes. She was the most skittish of the bunch, and an Aby. But I learned to communicate to her whether it was just petting time or if I needed to pick her up. And I respect when she wants to get down (she licks me, and as long as I put her back in the pen, she never nips).

Another pig loves to be held for hours, but only by my husband. He'll only sit with me for about 20 minutes, max. He's learned to signal when he wants to go back as well. He's special needs (blind, hard of hearing, some paralysis) due to an abusive / neglectful background, but even he has learned to trust.

Those are just a couple of the pigs but I'm sure if you are gentle with them and observe them whenever you can, you'll work it out.

Are your males and females in separate cages?

Oh yes, that how I ended up with five!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.