Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Pimple like thingy

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The two newly surrendered girls just got dropped off a few minutes ago, they are going into the quarantine cage.

The younger one seems fine but the older one has a lump on her ear..What is it and is it contagious?

I checked the younger one over she doesn't have one.

-10.jpg-9.jpg-8.jpg

Thanks!

Aleks

Cavy Slave
From what I've read about things like that, it could be an abscess or a fungal infection. (Or maybe something else?)
I'd take her to the vet. I hope it's nothing serious!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Abscess seems more likely, we had another girl in the rescue who had fungal infection on her ear and it looked nothing like that.

Is there a home remedy for abscess? We can drop round to the vets today or tomorrow as they're just round the corner if there isn't a home remedy.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Could be a cyst. Have a look over this page: https://www.guinealynx.info/lumps.html

My Pedro had a pimple like bump on his cheek. Initially we thought it was a cyst but turned out to be a benign tumor and we had it removed.

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Abscess seems more likely, we had another girl in the rescue who had fungal infection on her ear and it looked nothing like that.
Is there a home remedy for abscess? We can drop round to the vets today or tomorrow as they're just round the corner if there isn't a home remedy.

Looks like an abscess or an infected follicle perhaps. Either way, a warm compress should do it. Soak a small towel in warm water and bathe the abscess, it should "bring it out" so to speak.
Apart from that there are no home remedies which work on a human, that you could do for a piggie. It'd cause them too much distress.

Wouldn't have thought it'd be contagious or all that serious,
Vet visit might be best.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Yes! I'd try a warm wet towel give it a good soak for 10 minutes and give it a gentle touch. If it doesn't open with a touch I'd poke it with a clean sewing needle. But I'm more experienced with abscesses and cysts. If you don't feel confident enough then a vet visit is in order! Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
It's nothing to worry about. It is a small deposit under the skin. It will probably work its way out. You can leave it, and just keep an eye on it that it does not become bigger. It's not fungus, not contagious.

Cute piggie :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Just thought I'd update you all. We were going to the vets any way to drop off a dish they gave us after we got our rat neutered (they put some baby food in it for him, so nice!) so we thought we might as well bring them along for a quick vet check. They're both fine, the vet just popped the pimple thingy so that's no worry any more.

We didn't even have to pay as the vet is getting to know us (as we were just there that morning for a check up on my rattie as it had been to weeks since his OP but we'd forgotten the dish!) and she just squeezed us in as the next person was coming a bit late.

I've named the abby girl CC (Stands for Cookie's and Cream) she is black and dark cream but the girl who had the pimple has no name yet. (We didn't get told any names)

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Glad that was just a little piggy-zit. Fenella has had one, too. It was smaller, and just went away on its own.

She's that great pinkish color...maybe Peaches? Rosa? Hmmm...I'll ponder on it for a bit more.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Glad that was just a little piggy-zit. Fenella has had one, too. It was smaller, and just went away on its own.

She's that great pinkish color...maybe Peaches? Rosa? Hmmm...I'll ponder on it for a bit more.

Haha, Peaches came to my mind too. Mum wants to think of another name instead of CeCe so we'll just wait and see what yummy names come to mind...I might pop up a thread with some pictures to get a few ideas though...

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Ask them what their names are, it works

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
What does the other pig look like? Is it chocolate colored? fluffy? Maybe Mousse!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
What does the other pig look like? Is it chocolate colored? fluffy? Maybe Mousse!

I'll put up a picture of her later, as I'm not at home right now. She's a (Tiny!) black and ginger-gold abby who is apparently 6 months old but I'd say she is 4 months but I don't know 100% about her age so will have to go with 6 months.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Are you thinking you want to go with a food name? How 'bout Gingersnap?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
We're aiming for names to do with food, but if another name picks her then she'll get it (same for both girls!). Only because of Mocha... :p

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Snickerdoodle? Do you have those in NZ?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
It reminds me of those bumps older and aging dogs get. I didn't know guinea pigs could get pimples. Interesting...

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
I just had 3 of those bumps taken off my older dog, and one was a slow-moving cancer. boo...

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It reminds me of those bumps older and aging dogs get. I didn't know guinea pigs could get pimples. Interesting...

It was most likely like a small sebaceous or follicular cyst.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.