Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Boy or a Girl? Please help!

nbanchev

Cavy Slave
Hello there, I am new to this forum, so please to meet you everyone!!:)

I need your help about sexing my boy (hopefully boy). I got two boys from a girl that got a pregnant piggie from a store. They are about six week now, and one of them is much bigger than the other, but then again he eats like crazy, while the small guy seems to be very picky. A couple of days ago the bigger one (Peppino) started a rumble-strutter around the smaller one (Juzepe), and sometimes the small one would nip at the big one (no blood)and now I wonder, if my small guy is a guy indeed. I looked at both of their genitals but I'm just not sure about this one. I am posting a picture, I hope it's clear enough, if not I'll post another. Please, tell me what you think- boy or a girl, again he's 6 weeks old and on the small side.

Thank you!!

Attachments

Juzepe-sexing.jpg

whistlepig

Cavy Slave
based on my knowledge and minimal research, this is a boy :)
females will have slight swelling over the genital area
to check, gently press the genital area to see if a penis slightly emerges.
Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig
go to this link

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
Looks like a boy to me...I have 6 girls. :) Boys have an "i" shape and girls are more of a "v". Gently push to see if the penis comes out. :)

nbanchev

Cavy Slave
Thank you both!! I was actually looking at those pics from the website you gave me whistlepig when I was examining my pig, and it does look like a boy, but he freaks out when I try to press and moves around too much and no penis comes out I think. I was able to feel the "ridge" of the penis of the bigger piggie. I tried rubbing the small guy in that area but I don't think I felt anything...but again, he doesn't sit still, and he seems less developed in that area than his brother, who I would assume is rightfully the alfa male considering the size. Also, looking at the bump right above the "I" shape it seems like there is a little hole, perhaps a good sign that there is a male genitalia hiding there lol I guess I'm just worried by the difference in size between the two piggies and the rumbling/mating sounds the bigger one is making...

DandelionBurdie

Cavy Slave
Thank you both!! I was actually looking at those pics from the website you gave me whistlepig when I was examining my pig, and it does look like a boy, but he freaks out when I try to press and moves around too much and no penis comes out I think. I was able to feel the "ridge" of the penis of the bigger piggie. I tried rubbing the small guy in that area but I don't think I felt anything...but again, he doesn't sit still, and he seems less developed in that area than his brother, who I would assume is rightfully the alfa male considering the size. Also, looking at the bump right above the "I" shape it seems like there is a little hole, perhaps a good sign that there is a male genitalia hiding there lol I guess I'm just worried by the difference in size between the two piggies and the rumbling/mating sounds the bigger one is making...
A lot of times male pigs will rumble strut around other males to assert dominance. I suspect that might be what's going on, especially since the one rumbling is the larger pig. You could try having someone else hold your smaller piggie while you check, it might make it easier since he's wiggly :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
It's hard to say. I just flipped my female over and she looks the same. Try and get a penis to come out.

If you feel a ridge under the skin, piggie is probably male.

DandelionBurdie

Cavy Slave
Hello there, I am new to this forum, so please to meet you everyone!!:)

I need your help about sexing my boy (hopefully boy). I got two boys from a girl that got a pregnant piggie from a store. They are about six week now, and one of them is much bigger than the other, but then again he eats like crazy, while the small guy seems to be very picky. A couple of days ago the bigger one (Peppino) started a rumble-strutter around the smaller one (Juzepe), and sometimes the small one would nip at the big one (no blood)and now I wonder, if my small guy is a guy indeed. I looked at both of their genitals but I'm just not sure about this one. I am posting a picture, I hope it's clear enough, if not I'll post another. Please, tell me what you think- boy or a girl, again he's 6 weeks old and on the small side.

Thank you!!
also, on my two females you can see their nipples on their belly :)

nbanchev

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your feedback, I truly appreciate it. I keep looking at that sexing website, and my boy/girl seems to look like pig 6, the male baby guinea pig of 3 weeks. But you are right- the surest way of knowing is to get a penis out, which I will try to do again later tonight or tomorrow, since I'm afraid I've stressed out my piggie enough for now:(

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Don't worry about stressing. Insert carrot/apple/berry into mouth, after he's done chewing flip him over and go penis hunting ;P

That to me is the sure way to know. If it's a female it's a lot easier to tell, because you can't really seperate the anus like you can in a male. Anyone who's done boar cleaning probably knows this.

I can tell the difference because I have a neutered male and a female, so I can compare and see the difference. A picture is hard to judge and I'd hate to mis sex and lead to pregnancy.

nbanchev

Cavy Slave
Good morning, and thank you again for your feedback. So, I tried again with a carrot and everything, the little Juzepe was pretty calm, and yet I just couldn't get the penis out, But, I thought I felt a ridge right above, and when I lift his skin in that area upwards the little dot separates from the "y" shape and it kinda stick out like a peppe, and I believe there is a tiny little hole in it...it's sooo little. Btw, I tried with his much more endowed bother and couldn't get the penis out as well, probably doing it wrong, but his testicles are much more obvious, so there's no mistake there, he is a big boy. Is it possible that my little guy is just the runt of the litter and that's why so small?

nbanchev

Cavy Slave
Also, I feel that the big guy does the rumbling more as a dominating space kinda thing. He always does it when in the same hidie as the little one or when too close when they eat. He loves to go stand really close to the little one, rumble, and then popcorn around lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.