Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quickly becoming piggy obsessed

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
Hello! My name is Teneik. I have 3 human kids and several other kids of all shapes and sizes. My husband fell in love with a guinea pig at Petco and asked me if we could adopt him :eye-poppi (he was no pets for a long time, then he was no more pets, but I never thought I would see the day he would ask for another! Usually I am the one not allowed at the shelters :eek: ) That turned into a hunt for a rescue to be friends with him, and when that didn't work, it turned into finding 2 girls to be friends with the rescued boy. He certainly didn't know what he was getting into LOL. After reading this forum a ton to try and get through introducing the boars, I decided I should just join. Currently we have our original piggy, JJ, who is approximately 1.5 yrs and I believe an Abyssinian. He seems to be very happy to be a single piggy, not sure if that was from being isolated from other piggies his whole life, or just his personality. Noodles is the boy we rescued, he is around 9 or 10 months old. He is living alone while we wait to schedule the big snip and then for the waiting period after. We recently rescued a bonded pair of ladies, Nadia who is around 2 yrs and Star who is around 1.5 yrs. They were supposedly spayed, but when we went to meet them and got the true story (the woman apparently claimed they were spayed when she bought them from Petco) we knew they weren't but fell in love with them anyway. I couldn't leave them, they needed to be bathed and had horrible curled under nails and they needed us, I could just tell :rolleyes: They are waiting for a brand new big c&c cage to be built that can eventually hold them and Noodles. Then we will shuffle cages, give JJ the nice big cage Noodles is in, and save the too small cage that JJ came in for a hedgie when our name comes up on the rescue list.

Phew, that was longer than I intended, sorry about that! As for the rest of our family, my husband is in the Navy on a Submarine, the kids are 10 (girl) 7 (boy) and 2 (girl). We also have a dog, a cat, some fire bellied toads and 2 leopard geckos. Thank goodness I stay at home so I can love on everybody all day long ❤️

I think that's it. As you can tell I can be a bit wordy :eek: so I better step away from the keyboard!

Hi, and welcome! Looks like you have a very full house!

Have you considered trying to introduce JJ and Noodles? Since the two females are bonded, you may want to let them stay as is; adding a new piggie could potentially disrupt that existing dynamic.

Thanks for the welcome!

We originally tried to introduce JJ and Noodles, and that went over like a lead balloon. I thought they would be ok, did extended time in a neutral location, but they would go from eating quietly to full on war. There was blood and injuries on both sides (Noodles had a bloody foot and JJ had a bite on his face). We did buddy baths, they only were ok in the bath then went right back to it. We had them living side by side, sharing a wall, for awhile and they were both uber stressed from it. Noodles wanted to play, and JJ just got chattery and rumbly every time Noodles looked at him. Finally they both got so mopey we decided it wasn't meant to be and separated them. They were back to their old selves within hours. Noodles seems to want a friend so badly. I heard from his previous owner that he didn't get along with the boys she had either, although she didn't give me more details than that. That's why we went for a girl. The shelter had them listed separately, which is why we went to go look at them, but when we got there we realized they were a pair so we took them both.

I have never felt so much stress animal wise as when I was introducing them! Yikes!

Whew, that's quite an animal brood! Please post pigtures when you can. I'd love to see them.

I forgot the ball python :eek: We've always had quite a few different kinds of animals since we moved into our house 8 years ago. The varieties have just changed over the years. We love having a zoo! I will post pictures as soon as I remember my photobucket password...

They may have fought because of being in smaller cages. Boars often need a lot of extra space and at least two of everything to eliminate territory conflicts. Not sure how big the cage was that you tried them in, but most people I read on here who have had issues usually suggest MUCH larger cages. Not sure exits too late to try chain in a bigger cage since they already drew blood but maybe someone else can chime in.

Welcome! Nice to see another piggy lover from CT. Husband is on a submarine......hmmm. Bet you live in the New London or Groton area?

LOL yes, although we live about 20-30 minutes away. I grew up here and greatly prefer the surrounding areas instead of Groton/NL. Seems like we are few and far apart here!

They may have fought because of being in smaller cages. Boars often need a lot of extra space and at least two of everything to eliminate territory conflicts. Not sure how big the cage was that you tried them in, but most people I read on here who have had issues usually suggest MUCH larger cages. Not sure exits too late to try chain in a bigger cage since they already drew blood but maybe someone else can chime in.
They never made it unsupervised. They drew blood in the playpen/superyard combo in my living room. I had 3 of everything just in case, open ended things to go under, etc. They are soooo happy separate now. I am ok with it now though, I think it's going to be for the best all around.

I got back into my photobucket account, yay!

I would love opinions on colors and breeds please!

This is JJ:

Noodles:
(he was nervous and chilly during the high winds and power outage of the hurricane so he spent a lot of time here lol.)

Nadia:

Star:
(this is the girly that I am not sure if I like her name or not.)

The girls together:

I can't wait to get them out on something cute and get my real camera to get nice pics!

Cute piggies! Love little Nadia if that is the Agouti colored one with the cream colored face. Agouti colors are my favorite!

Thanks! Nadia is such a sweetheart, and a fluffy ball of softness after her piggy spa day here lol. She looks like a stuffed animal she is so puffy ❤️

My Agouti is a little spit fire but it definitely more fluffy than her boyfriend lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.