Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Tumor My poor little girl

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
We took maggie and nibbles into the vets office for a check up as i noticed they were losing some fur etc. nibbles is fine but maggie isnt. She has ovarian tumor/cysts. The vet said that they were very large and will crush her intestines if left untreated and we will be forced to put her down. Or we could have an operation done to try and save her. My mom has chosen to have the operation done. I really hope it goes well as my guinea pigs are my best freinds (ok im not that much of a loner but u understand). I was just wondering if the old pet store cage would be ok until she recovers. Im also wondering how much of a risk there is for guinea pigs going through spaying, please tell me your expieriences with spaying and recovery etc.

Peaches3RN

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to hear about your Maggie, it's great that your mom has opted for the surgery. I would think that a pet store cage would be fine for a short term, but I'm sure the other people here will give you good advice. I'm new around here. I hope all goes well for Maggie!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's in good health and you have a good veterinary surgeon, she should be fine. All surgery carries risks, and they may find more when they operate than they expect. But if it's a straightforward spay, and the vet is good, her chances are excellent.

The pet store cage will be just the thing for her while she recovers. Depending on how large it is, you may even need to block part of it off to keep her from moving around too much. It would also help if you could put the pet store cage in the other cage so that they're together, just separated by bars. That may keep you from having to do full introductions again.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ditto bpatters. Penny's recovery after her spay was amazing. She was up and ready to roll right away. I sectioned off a small corner of the cage so her and Sheldon could still see each other. Make sure your vet gives pain killers, some vets don't unless you ask. If she's in pain she won't want to eat, and if she stops eating handing feeding is critical.

Myas pigs

Cavy Slave
I am sorry to here about your pig i hope the operation goes well.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
If she's in good health and you have a good veterinary surgeon, she should be fine. All surgery carries risks, and they may find more when they operate than they expect. But if it's a straightforward spay, and the vet is good, her chances are excellent.

The pet store cage will be just the thing for her while she recovers. Depending on how large it is, you may even need to block part of it off to keep her from moving around too much. It would also help if you could put the pet store cage in the other cage so that they're together, just separated by bars. That may keep you from having to do full introductions again.

im not quite sure how i can do that as my cage isnt the hugest, i would section of part of the cage so they can still be together. But as i use wood chips as bedding... While she is recovering i will be using fleece in the petstore cage just so i can make sure there is no problems etc and so it doesnt get infected.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.