Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions How to make Fine Grind-Type Critical Care?

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
My pig requires Critical Care now permanently and cannot eat pellets. He is a stricture in his esophagus which makes it difficult, and dangerous, to swallow anything that isn't the right consistency. He can eat regular Critical Care but fine grind is much easier for him. However, he cannot tolerate pellets even if they are chopped up in the food processor because it leaves some bits that are still not fine enough. Obviously, Critical Care gets very expensive so I am trying to find something that will allow me to make a Critical Care Fine Grind-type consistency out of pellets. Any ideas?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You can get pellets very fine with a coffee grinder.

I know it may be hard to hear but it might be best to consider euthanasia. Pigs live to eat and when they can't their quality of life really declines rapidly. I'm sorry you're dealing with this difficult issue.

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
Paula

I was wondering about a coffee grinder. I'm not a coffee drinker so I wasn't sure how fine of a grind it would give. The baby bullet also looks promising.

Also, he is actually doing quite well and is just "special needs" right now. He is actually able to eat hay and veggies and is running around and playing as I speak. He is on medication to help him as well. He's still very happy, I know that. I appreciate your concern, however, and I know that if this worsens then the time may come where I have to do the right thing and let him go.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oh, I see. Your first post gave me the impression that he can only eat mashed pellets. As long as he's able to eat veggies and hay, you might consider eliminating pellets altogether from his diet. Vitamins C and D are the main importance of pellets but if you can be sure he's getting enough of those things, you might be able to cut back significantly or eliminate them altogether.

I'm not a coffee drinker, either, but I did buy a grinder for the sole purpose of pellet grinding. :) I'd be curious to hear how the baby bullet works out if you do get one. Good luck to you and your little guy.

MySpottedFrog7

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Paula. My only concern with eliminating pellets/critical care is weight loss. Ive been researching how to go about trying to eliminate pellets. Unfortunatly, my vet doesn't have experience with a pellet-less diet either. I suppose feeding pellets is a hard habit to break!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.